Everyday some innocent child has been hurt or killed...why??

Feeling very upset and sad that nearly everyday we hear and read that some innocent child or children  have been hurt by either a family member or just a stranger....some poor baby has sufffered burns to herself after her "father" set her alight..can`t understand is it drugs i.e ice that make`s an a.......hole do this? anger??

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Education??? You don't need education to know not to hurt or kill kids. 

I know bob. I was making a point that the problems start early, beginning with the parents of children whom go onto becoming bad parents hurting or killing their own.

A preventable cycle that could have been broken in many families had we not given so many handouts early on.

My sister was at a school on the mornington peninsula.

Some of the children would come to school without shoes, no lunch or clothes not washed in some time.

During her lunch she would shop in the main street and see the parents of those children coming out from the pokies lighting up a cigarette.

Those parents should not have been given handouts or at least educated in life skills n parenting as a condition of receiving benefits prior to having children.

Thankfully there is now a better reporting system for the above behaviour.

image host
Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

debra said:

there seem to be so many case Australia wide lately where child protection are aware of children at risk but they do nothing. I can't understand it.. nor can I understand people who hurt innocent little children- especially when it's their own parents

_____

I can understand it very well. Just think for a sec, it isn't all that long ago we had the PM saying 'sorry' to Aboriginals who may have been removed from their homes.

We had several nations saying 'sorry' to the home children who may have been moved to other countries from orphanages & homes.

I'm not saying what was done in the past was right, but I think we've swung very much the other way.

It's very out of fashion at the moment to remove children from parents & if child protection officers do step in, they often come in for flak.

There are a lot of cases where the children would be better off removed, but would the media let it happen? There would be uproar if kids were removed just because parents were a bit bad. They have to be positively lethal before anything can be done.

And hindsight is a wonderful thing. Easy to see violence once it has happened, harder to predict for sure.

One other thing though it isn't fashionable to say this either. Kids are much more likely to be hit/killed/injured by a de facto male partner than by the father. Our broken families- can be a recipe for trouble.

Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

I shared a house with a teenager who had only ever known violence as a response to a stressful situation.

Had a bad day at work? Put your fist through the wall.

Hassled by ticket inspectors at the railway station? Kick something. Hard.

Boss having a bad day and he takes it out on you? Punch somebody.

Over the year that we shared a house I showed him that there were other options, the least of which was talking it out.

Education is the key - showing him that he had another option, that he didn't have to explode in a rage meant he had a choice.

Don't think I wasn't scared, at times. He was younger and fitter than me, and stood a head taller than me. When he was angry he was scary. I stood my ground because I believed that education - teaching him that he had other options was worth the trouble.

He'd spent time in juvenile correction, he didn't want to go back, but he didn't know any other way but the way he knew, which was only going to end him up in adult correction, eventually.

A life spent on the penal merry go round for the sake of a little education.

I honestly hope the example I set him helped him because he was a good kid and deserved better than "not knowing any better".

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply