Food Wastage

Article I came across a few days back.

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/australias-embarrassing-101-billion-food-waste-problem-211157280.h...

Article also claims that,  "globally one third of all food produced goes to waste,

meaning that at the rate of the world’s population growth and eating habits,

by 2050 we will need at least three planets to keep up. if the trend continues"

Gens.JPG

We are BB generation and there is next to zero edible food products wasted in our household.

I wonder about the larger impact the waste has, costs for manufacturing & growing,

including the water, transportation, power etc etc etc,  all of which must have a impact on the environment.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Food Wastage

Oddly, my partner and I were discussing this issue just last night. We were comparing how our families used to eat left overs when we were kids. Personally, I loved bubble and squeak on toast. I also remember my mother suggesting I try roast dripping on toast and it was delicious.

We also commented that we and most of our friends were not fat, and how so many young people today are. I think the ease and convenience of fast food is a big factor today, as mentioned in the article. The local fish & chip shop down the road was all I knew of as a child.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Food Wastage

jetho1680
Community Member

Is it Gen Y who are the main parties who demonstrate about climate change ?

GenX here.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Food Wastage

NFS, as a kid we would have fish & chips maybe once a month at the most and it was all eaten.

We grab a take out usually on friday nights and will usually get a small cup of chips as well.

The only thing that ends up in the bin is the wrappers.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Food Wastage

Jetho,

I had to look that up, Gen Y or Millennials are born between 1977 – 1995.

In saying that, I am not sure what age bracket the majority of the demonstrators are.

I have only see them on TV being pried from the footpath after they glued themselves to it,

or live streaming their arrest on the lasted mobile phone.... lol, 

and not really considered what their ages were.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Food Wastage

martinw-48
Community Member
Very little food waste in my house too.
Too expensive to not eat it
Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Food Wastage

I don't waste anything. I eat everything and even take the packaging to the beach and feed the dolphins and turtles.
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Food Wastage

What i wonder is how they come up with these figures.

Do they ask people to calculate how much they throw out each week and what it might cost? (Always a bit of a fraught method as I doubt people necessarily remember or calculate as they go. or tell the whole truth for that matter)

Do they park a camera in someone's home and film everything that goes into the bins? 

Do they secretly remove contents of the rubbish bin weekly to analyse it?  (which would probably be a more accurate method as far as calculating the overal total waste, although a lot of households are mixed generations, so who would know which generation threw out what!)

I sometimes have some wastage, I'll be honest. Usually it is bits and pieces.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Food Wastage

Nothing get wasted in this house, we cook according to the amount we wish to eat, our gsd cleans up any leftover meat scraps, bones etc. F n V scraps go into the compost bin or to my egg man's chooks. We mainly eat seasonal veggies we can pick from the garden as needed or take from the larder or freezer. Our resident maggies also enjoy a treat or 2

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Food Wastage

I think the percentages relate at least partly to the age of the groups, rather than their generational classification.

When I was younger I was much less conscious of wasting food, eg if I didn't eat all of a takeaway meal, I rarely saved it for later.

And leftovers often sat in the fridge uneaten as I didn't always feel like that particular type of food, and just made something different.

Now I rarely throw anything out, unless it's a very small amount left on a plate or something that doesn't keep well, and almost all leftovers in the fridge get eaten.

So my take is that it's probably at least partly life experience and maturity that drives those figures.

We're baby-boomers by generation.
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply