Gold Coast Doctor hogties Child

295 REPLIES 295

I can't find  the article. If she stood by and took pics while her child was hogtied...something seems wrong.

I don't know the details though I can relate to situations where restraint  of a child and  also adults with extra needs is necessary ...restraint  that to most would seem very extreme.

Message 21 of 296
Latest reply

A Gold Coast paediatrician is likely to face charges after allegedly hog-tying a young boy on the floor of his medical surgery in front of the boy’s mother. Fiona Barnett reports.

DrDavis_1

Actual photo taken in the doctor’s surgery by the mother.

A PROMINENT Gold Coast paediatrician is under investigation after photos allegedly showing him hog-tying a young boy on the floor of his Southport surgery were presented to police and the medical registration board.

The medical practitioner, who has practised on the Gold Coast for some 30 years, is now facing allegations of assault and deprivation of liberty.

The boy’s mother says she consulted Dr over concerns her child had the developmental condition Asperger syndrome. Dr allegedly immediately dismissed this suggestion and proceeded with his diagnostic method.

The doctor allegedly retrieved a set of ropes stored in his office, placed the child belly down on the floor of his surgery and expertly hot-tied the child.

According to the mother, Dr then commented:

“See, he doesn’t have Aspergers. If he had Aspergers, he would be screaming hysterically by now.”

The mother reports that, at first, her son was placid because he thought it was a game. When the child managed to free his hands, she says Dr became visibly angry and frustrated and sat on the child’s lower back.

At this, the boy did start screaming hysterically: “Get off me! Get off me!”

The paediatrician is said to have refused to get off the child, saying:

“I’ll get off you after you stop throwing a temper tantrum.”

“He nearly snapped his back,” the mother said.

The child was left traumatised by the incident, which allegedly exacerbated his pre-existing condition and caused him to suffer nightmares.

The mother says that when the child said he wanted to go to the bathroom, the paediatrician told him:

“I’ll take you to the toilet. I’ll put your head down the toilet.”

The incident occurred on October 31, 2012. Though in a state of shock, the mother managed to photograph the assault [images included in this story].

She then spent the following four months reporting the matter to whoever would listen. She showed the photos to her family doctor and to her son’s school principal, but neither of these parties reported the incident, allegedly defying mandatory reporting legislation. As a result, these individuals are said to also be under investigation.

DrDavis_2Finally, the child’s replacement paediatrician reported the assault to the medical registration board. The Child Protection unit of Surfers Paradise Police are currently investigating the doctor, who has been ordered to present himself to their watch house later tomorrow (14/8/13).

In June 2013, the medical registration board sent the mother a letter stating that Dr was under investigation and facing numerous charges including medical negligence of a child.

Despite allegedly being under investigation for assault, the Australian Health Practitioners Regulatory Authority (AHPRA) ‒ which oversees the medical board ‒ to date records Dr  medical registration status as current.

When questioned today why Dr  was still listed as registered, an AHPRA representative stated:

“AHPRA is advised by courts if a practitioner has been arrested. However, AHPRA has the ability to take immediate action in severe cases.”

Message 22 of 296
Latest reply

I can't find the article either...every time I click on the link it takes me to a labor site??????

Message 23 of 296
Latest reply

He was not restraining the child, he was showing the mother the child did not have aspergers... his diagnostic expertise apparently Man Indifferent

Message 24 of 296
Latest reply

those photos just make my blood boil.

no way in hell would i stand by and let that happen.

Message 25 of 296
Latest reply

@azureline** wrote:

Not everyone thinks the same way, the mum was obviously there because her child needed to be, you know yourself that when you are under stress, you aren't always thinking clearly.

So if you can see it, why are others saying they now can't? here and elsewhere?

She had 4 months to think clearly and approach the police. The article states that she spoke to "anyone who would listen". So, in four months it never occurred to her to approach the police? Not even out of desp[eration because no one else seemed to want to do anything? Not one other person suggested to her to approach the police? In four months? Seriously?

Well I can see "something", an article with the title "Gold Coast doctor faces child abuse allegations" with 4 pictures, two of a child appearing to be restrained by an adult with rope another featuring a man resembling Dr  (ya just need to check out the bow tie), restraining a child with rope in an environment that appears to be conducive with that of Dr Consultation Rooms and one of Dr  with that notorious red spotted bowtie.

I dunno Az - it's just too close to home to me, causing this to just be incomprehensible, by default I think I am trying to remain objective, but in my heart, I dunno - those pictures are pretty damning evidence, eh?

And I know that not all Aspies are the same etc, but there is no way in Hades that either of mine would have allowed anyone to touch them far less "remain placid thinking it was a game whilst being restrained". In that quote attributed to Dr  as saying "if he was an aspie he would be screaming by now"(sic) - dunno, it's certainly not a diagnostic criteria of the DSMV, but that statement and the actions taken make me wonder what else haven't we been told.

It doesn't excuse the alleged actions of Dr , but where was everyone else in society who was supposed to be protecting this child? Why did so many people fail to do anything? Why are we only hearing about this now, 9 MONTHS after it allegedly occured? 9 months is an awfully long time for the mother to speak to an awful lot of people and not one word has leaked out anywhere? Really?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 26 of 296
Latest reply

@*pepe wrote:

those photos just make my blood boil.

no way in hell would i stand by and let that happen.

Perhaps a kick in the family jewels?

I would go to jail if necessary.

Message 27 of 296
Latest reply

thanks Az .I think my 9yr old non autisc daughter would scream straight away if some attempted to do that ...

perhaps she may not if it was explained as part of a test and I for some crazy reason gave my permission ??????

If I saw that happening  I wouldn't be taking photos instead I'd be tackling him and/or calling the police and shouting loud enough that it allerted everyone in the surgery 

Message 28 of 296
Latest reply

I don't know the answers to your questions. I suppose no one told the media til now?

Perhaps the child doesn't have Aspergers......... I think the mother was asking for some advice/assistance/diagnosis?

Message 29 of 296
Latest reply

Well, at least I have worked out what was bothering me about the photos.

They have been doctored. At least to the extent that the child's identity has been concealed, which stands to reason - but don't newspapers and media just usually do that pixellated thing with the fuzzy squares?

I could see enough to conclude he was a private school boy, but couldn't work out which school had a black jumper. Then I was wondering why a kid was wearing a jumper in October, on the Gold Coast when the temp was 26 degrees at the seaway, so even hotter in Southport central. Then the beanie? And sometimes the jumper was scrunched up, but on others not?

Those pictures, the ones I can see,  have been through an amateur app like Paint.

I also wanna know why no one has polished that kids shoes for ages, and how on earth he ties up his shoe laces with them being that short? Irrelevant I know but *blush* in the context of this incomprehensible situation, that's where my mind wandered LOL - There is no way I would take my kid to the peady with scuffed shoes and broken shoe laces.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 30 of 296
Latest reply