Greek drama

Is anyone affected by the drama in Greece ? It seems like they will default , I work in a currency exchange and people are frantically  getting euro. Apparently the banks over there are all closed for a week and people can only take out €60 from autotellers .

I feel sorry for Greek people I heard today that if they default they will likly go back to the Drachma and they would loose 90%  on their euros exchanging them ..... it sounds a nightmare  pensions ect will not be paid as the gov will have no money and it will send the country into a deep recession. 

Our stockmarket is being decimated already 

Message 1 of 40
Latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Greek drama

@amalan11 wrote:

Is anyone affected by the drama in Greece ? It seems like they will default , I work in a currency exchange and people are frantically  getting euro. Apparently the banks over there are all closed for a week and people can only take out €60 from autotellers .

I feel sorry for Greek people I heard today that if they default they will likly go back to the Drachma and they would loose 90%  on their euros exchanging them ..... it sounds a nightmare  pensions ect will not be paid as the gov will have no money and it will send the country into a deep recession. 

I'm pretty dense in economy. How will it affect us?

Message 2 of 40
Latest reply

Greek drama

At  the moment just our stockmarket is being damaged  from what I hear. Im wondering  how greek people on pensions will go I guess more will move back. We also do Western Union and we pay  out a lot of pention payments from Europe .  It may cause a huge problem if there is a ripple effect and several countries leave the Euro but our goverment says we are well protected as our economy  is good so who knows? I remember hearing years ago that melbourne had the biggest greek population outside of Athens and lots in Sydney too .

Message 3 of 40
Latest reply

Greek drama

DOes that mean it's a cheap holiday destination if things are 90% off?

Message 4 of 40
Latest reply

Greek drama

I think it would be somewhere to avoid if the problem is not fixed,I remember a few months ago when it looked like they would default Brittan had some military plan to evacuate  its citizens  if expected riots broke out . 

On the news the expert said greeks who have money in the banks which isnow Euros will only get 1 drachma for 10 euros so I guess thats why riots may break out .

I just can't  imagine a situation like that where you loose 90% of  your money in a bank account .

Message 5 of 40
Latest reply

Greek drama

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

@amalan11 wrote:

Is anyone affected by the drama in Greece ?

Says it all for me.   My bank shares in particular have fallen quite dramatically in the last week or so and I am afraid to look at the closing prices today.

Message 6 of 40
Latest reply

Greek drama

It's not a Greek drama......it's a Greek Tragedy.........

Message 7 of 40
Latest reply

Greek drama

Whats the capital of Greece?

.................about 100 drachma......................................................Richo.

Message 8 of 40
Latest reply

Greek drama

I had a message from a friend who is holidaying on the Greek Islands atm. She said the Greeks are taking it all in their stride, joking about it, & enjoying life!! They had one guy tell them that he has not banked anyone's money for 4 years so he has full access to it
Message 9 of 40
Latest reply

Greek drama

@amalan11 wrote:

At  the moment just our stockmarket is being damaged  from what I hear. Im wondering  how greek people on pensions will go I guess more will move back. We also do Western Union and we pay  out a lot of pention payments from Europe .  It may cause a huge problem if there is a ripple effect and several countries leave the Euro but our goverment says we are well protected as our economy  is good so who knows? I remember hearing years ago that melbourne had the biggest greek population outside of Athens and lots in Sydney too .

Most Greek people I know have been sending or taking money to Greek rellos for the past few years.

Mind you it could just be a good excuse for party time with friends and family  😄

Message 10 of 40
Latest reply