Gumtree scammers

Gumtree scammers tricking victims with fake online banking receipts, police warn

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-09/qld-gumtree-online-seller-scam-warning/10356410

you only need to read these boards to know its happening a lot.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Gumtree scammers

One would simply check your banks details to make sure funds were transfered before sending off items

but i suppose scammers know that not all sellers know the drill!

Signatures suck.
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Gumtree scammers

scammers can only scam people who trust people are honest.

the guy handed over the item without the money actually in his hand. so to speak.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Gumtree scammers

You can't exactly trust a seller will send the item either even if payment was cleared

unless you pay through paypal i suppose

i only use gumtree for cash on pick up, and for buyers to do the same

Signatures suck.
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Gumtree scammers

marwi_3023
Community Member
Gumtree can be the source of a lot of frustration.
I've had some good buys but haven't sold anything just had my time wasted.
The most annoying thing about trying to buy stuff on Gumtree is that it will state that the seller accepts PayPal but then they will tell you that the only form of payment that they accept is bank deposit, even if I say I'll pay the fee.
That is if they don't say that it's already sold.
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Gumtree scammers

Ouch.

That was a more elaborate scam but my sister & I learnt more than a decade ago (on ebay, when bank deposit was the only way someone could pay) not to trust what people say, but to wait till money actually showed in the bank account.

I don't know how many times we had buyers swear black & blue they had paid, but my sister would always reply-sorry, it is not showing up in the bank, you'll need to go to your bank to check what has happened etc

Each & every time, it turned out they had not paid and she would get a reply along the lines of 'Okay, the money will be sent tomorrow".

I know the man in the article saw what he thought were legit documents such as drivers licence & payment receipts etc but the same rule should apply-no one picks up the goods till the money shows up in his bank account. If he had messaged that to note to the seller that to be clear, no pick up could happen till funds had cleared, he would have been fine. 

Gumtree is a funny sort of site. You get some time wasters who say they'll come to look at items but don't.

I've personally found that small items on gumtree don't sell well, though if you go on facebook local buy swap sells etc they may.

Gumtree is very quiet. I recently sold some as new carpet runners. I had 18 queries on facebook within 24 hours and they were all picked up next day. One query only on gumtree and person then never got back to me. It makes me wonder whether gumtree will remain or go under as it seems very sluggish.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Gumtree scammers

This also reminded me of another gumtree scam that affected the adult son of a friend of mine.

He advertised a mobile phone on gumtree & had a man who wanted to come & view it.

When the man arrived, they stood in the outside porch area, which is enclosed.

The man asked to look at the phone so the son handed it to him & the man ran off (the door to the garden was still open). The son is quite a tall, strong type himself and chased after him but the man had a mate in a car about 2 doors down & the engine was already running so the man jumped in & they sped off. 

The son of course went to the police, and they said this was becoming a common scam. The car number plate-I forget the details but for some reason, that was no help. Either covered or false number.

But when it comes to gumtree sales, it probably pays to give attention to detail-where the potential buyer is parked etc plus maybe have someone else at home when they call in.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply