I am not just an Australian - I am an 'ORDINARY' Australian!!

according to Hockey.....on Q & A now.....because I would be considered a low income earner. *PPPFFFFT!

I never watch this carp but the tele was on.

Thank goodness I watched long enough to hear him tell what I really am.

My personality disorder has miraculously disappeared?!!

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

I also take offence, knowing that Hockey and his mates are going to slash funding to the ABC, having to listen to him just lie, lie and lie all over again, refusing to apologise......getting all this air and screen time.

Just another attempt to hard sell his budget.

....one thing I have noticed is the 'slip' into using The Theory of Variation during this attempt to justify his budget, the language is changing from what it was a day or two ago.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 30
Latest reply

Nothing wrong with "ordinary", it is not an insult. The insult is that "ordinary" should be used with contempt and be associated as lazy.

I am a worker and a carer of of someone with a serious mental disability. It is impossible to care and have a well paid part time job. Any job you have is likely to be low paid due to restrictions placed on you by caring role. You are not allowed to work more than 25 hours, nor can you if you want to care effectively. The carer pension is reduced by 50% starting at a threshold of about $75 a week for a single and about $135 a week for a couple. Slashing 50% off the pay from a low paid part time job, means you are anchored in poverty.

Caring is not the same as being unemployed whereby any work alievates being unemployed by definition. The carer role is not lessened by being employed, it is simply doubling your work load. The more you put into the second role the less compensation you get for the former. The carer is keeping the cared for out of the medical system, and so is saving the system a fortune and getting a pittance in return. Making the carer role untenable means those in need for care will end up being a huge drain on a system that can't cope with them

Giving up a well paid career to live on a pittance to care for someone else is far from easy, nor ordinary, it takes a special level of empathy and sacrifice to do so. Someone whos goal is to work obsessively whose only purpose is to make themselves as comfortable as possible, is not a badge of being a great person

If I am ordinary, I am proud to be ordinary, I am a far better person than when I had lucrative professional career and was shouting myself expensive trips and luxuries, because I thought I was better than ordinary..no I was just self interested then. I didn't care about "ordinary" people, I thought they should just "earn or learn' too. I am ashamed I used to think like that. I was not better, I was just ignorant

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Calling people ordinary isn't very flattering.

Message 2 of 30
Latest reply

I also take offence, knowing that Hockey and his mates are going to slash funding to the ABC, having to listen to him just lie, lie and lie all over again, refusing to apologise......getting all this air and screen time.

Just another attempt to hard sell his budget.

....one thing I have noticed is the 'slip' into using The Theory of Variation during this attempt to justify his budget, the language is changing from what it was a day or two ago.

Message 3 of 30
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:

Calling people ordinary isn't very flattering.

Most of us are ordinary.

If you need to be known for more than that, Get off your butt and do something.

Message 4 of 30
Latest reply

I am a trained teacher and have worked as one.

I have given generously of my time for free to tutor adults and children-reading and writing.

I am a qualified nurse and have worked as one.

I have worked in Marketing and Advertising.

I served in the Defence Force as an Officer.

I am presently a carer.

I do not sit on my butt all day

Message 5 of 30
Latest reply

@paintsew007 wrote:

I have given generously of my time for free to tutor adults and children-reading and writing.

I am presently a carer.

That's more than a little personal. I was talking in general, not to you personally.

Message 6 of 30
Latest reply

@paintsew007 wrote:

I am presently a carer.

I've never been that rude to anyone on this or any other forum. I don't belive I've ever posted to you. 

Message 7 of 30
Latest reply

i'm pretty ordinary 😄

Signatures suck.
Message 8 of 30
Latest reply

You know what? You are ordinary. The fact you have to be personal, and list your achievements in life indicates you think you are. 

Most of the people we all look up to considered themselves "ordinary" people. The power hungry despots didn't.

Message 9 of 30
Latest reply

These are not a list nor would I consider them my achievements in life. Just work. Ordinary work.

I was just pointing out that I do not and have never actually just sat around on my butt all day....I'm not lazy as you seem to categorise low earning Australians as or newly termed by Joe Hockey, people like myself are referred to as - an 'Ordinary' Australian.

If you take offence then too bad for that. You should be careful with your words when prepared to ignorantly offer up challenges.

Message 10 of 30
Latest reply