Indonesia Slashes Australian Cattle Intake

Australian farmers will pay significantly for Indonesia's dramatic cut to imports of cattle, exporters believe.

But so too will Indonesian beef eaters.

Indonesia has announced it will slash its intake of Australian cattle this quarter by 80 per cent.

Only 50,000 head of cattle will be sent between July and September, down from 250,000 in the previous quarter this year.

The impact will be felt right across the board - from farmers and exporters to ports and other transport operators.

Labor blames tense political relations with Jakarta for the decision.

That's a view shared by Queensland independent MP Bob Katter, whose Kennedy electorate is one of the biggest beef-producing areas of the country.

But he blames Labor too.

"In my lifetime I have never seen a government go out of its way to provoke its neighbour as much as the ALP and LNP governments in Australia," Mr Katter said in a statement.

However, the industry has dismissed those assumptions, pointing to domestic issues in Indonesia around live cattle and food security.

Indonesia is trying to become self-sufficient in producing cattle.

Entire Article Here

"Labor blames tense political relations with Jakarta for the decision." 

Woman LOL 

Of course they do.

Part of Indonesia's drive to beef self-suffiency is probably buying cattle-producing farms in Australia.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I thought it was live cattle, if so there's a whole lot of cattle that won't be brutally killed.

Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light.
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

@channys_mum wrote:

I thought it was live cattle, if so there's a whole lot of cattle that won't be brutally killed.

Yes that's one good thing. At least some of the poor beasts will get a reprieve from live transport.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Yes thank goodness for that, we will just load them on Cramped Cattle trucks ship them all over the country, take them to be killed where they can smell the blood of their dead rellies, kill them and eat them.

So pleased they will die happier.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

@lionrose.7 wrote:

Yes thank goodness for that, we will just load them on Cramped Cattle trucks ship them all over the country, take them to be killed where they can smell the blood of their dead rellies, kill them and eat them.

So pleased they will die happier.

Yeah, there's no happy ending either way for the poor buggers, is there?

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

Australian farmers will pay significantly for Indonesia's dramatic cut to imports of cattle, exporters believe.

But so too will Indonesian beef eaters.

Indonesia has announced it will slash its intake of Australian cattle this quarter by 80 per cent.

Only 50,000 head of cattle will be sent between July and September, down from 250,000 in the previous quarter this year.

The impact will be felt right across the board - from farmers and exporters to ports and other transport operators.

Labor blames tense political relations with Jakarta for the decision.

That's a view shared by Queensland independent MP Bob Katter, whose Kennedy electorate is one of the biggest beef-producing areas of the country.

But he blames Labor too.

"In my lifetime I have never seen a government go out of its way to provoke its neighbour as much as the ALP and LNP governments in Australia," Mr Katter said in a statement.

However, the industry has dismissed those assumptions, pointing to domestic issues in Indonesia around live cattle and food security.

Indonesia is trying to become self-sufficient in producing cattle.

Entire Article Here

"Labor blames tense political relations with Jakarta for the decision." 

Woman LOL 

Of course they do.

Part of Indonesia's drive to beef self-suffiency is probably buying cattle-producing farms in Australia.

I don't think that anybody thought that there would'nt be any repercussions when their foreign aid was reduced. There is probably more pay-back still to come. Asians have already moved in on farm grabs and it's quite on the cards that the Indos will want to follow along the same path. Aussies will not take to kindly to that and I fancy a bit lot of cattle duffing is about to increase in the future. ....

Just my take on the article

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply