Julia Gillard’s most ludicrous campaign pitch: beware of men in blue ties

nero_bolt
Community Member

SHE famously led her party to a tie in the 2010 federal election, which may explain why Prime Minister Julia Gillard has something against ties of the fabric variety.

Yesterday the PM launched an extraordinary attack on Coalition politicians who wear blue ties. Speaking at the launch of Labor's Women for Gillard campaign in Sydney, the PM identified "men in blue ties" as a major 2013 election issue.

Gillard also claimed that abortion would become the "political plaything of men" under a Coalition government and that women would be "banished" from mainstream political life if Tony Abbott became prime minister.

"I invite you to imagine it," Gillard told the 100 or so female supporters who gathered for the launch.

"A prime minister, a man with a blue tie, who goes on holiday to be replaced by a man in a blue tie, a treasurer who delivers a budget wearing a blue tie."

This is actually extremely easy to imagine because Treasurer Wayne Swan, the man who delivered this year's Budget, wore a blue tie.

A quick scan of media archives reveals that blue ties are a favourite of male politicians from both major parties. Several of Gillard's Labor colleagues clearly fancy an occasional blue tie.

Besides treasurer Swan, Workplace Relations Minister Bill Shorten is a frequent blue tie wearer. Trade Minister Craig Emerson is another who enjoys blue ties.

Deputy Opposition Leader Julie Bishop described the Prime Minister's tactics as patronising and insulting and unworthy of a prime minister.

"She should be governing for all Australians and not trying to wage a gender war and divide the community as a distraction from her self-inflicted political woes," Ms Bishop said yesterday.

Liberal MP Kelly O'Dwyer said the PM's broader comments were "disgusting".

"Divisive gutter politics," she tweeted.

Some government MPs were concerned Gillard's comments on abortion could backfire. Backbencher Stephen Jones told the ABC he was "not convinced of the wisdom of kicking this into a political debate."

Online observers noted that in addition to the gender war being conducted by Gillard, her latest remarks open a new battlefront on fashion. Blue tie wearers are now officially objects of government ridicule.

The PM has effectively started a blue where no dispute previously existed.

Considering all of the other conflicts Gillard is currently managing, this is probably the last thing she needs.

When parliament resumes next Monday, all eyes will be on the frontbench to see if any Labor identities defy Gillard's anti-blue tie directive.

Given her government's current elevated tensions, even the colour of decorative fabric might be taken as a sign of disloyalty.

It's knot easy being the PM - especially when men in blue ties are circling.

- See more at: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/julia-gillards-women-and-her-loyal-lads-in-blue-ties/story-fni0cx4q-1226662133244#sthash.0vcjis1W.dpuf

Message 1 of 44
Latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Considering how  up to date are you with the social media I am really surprised you missed it.   Its been all over the news as well.

It was ignored for months first.

Message 31 of 44
Latest reply

IS: "you are obviously happy with it being and staying that way MM"

FN: "No confusion at all. I asked why you think it is acceptable"

2 confused might be better than one, might!

How on earth the above comments can  stem from this comment of mine: "women unfortunately get the short straw in life."  Is an exercise in convoluted grammar that is beyond me, or perhaps it is just self-sustaining Sisterhood logic.The mind boggles.

Scenario: knock on neighbours door and announce, "unfortunately I have backed into your car", reply:  "you are obviously happy with it, and think it is acceptable"

Must dig out the Oxford/ Roget's and see what "unfortunately" actually means in Sisterspeak!

Message 32 of 44
Latest reply

some think it that unfortunate that women get the short straw that they speak out against it rather than accept and contribute to  the unfortunate fact that women get the short straw.

and some will mock them for doing that ...suggests perhaps that they expect everyone else to accept that women should get the short straw and that they perhaps don't really consider it unfortunate ?

Message 33 of 44
Latest reply

What?????????????????????

As I said before: "Sisterspeak"

Message 34 of 44
Latest reply

I've been looking for signs that you really think it unfortunate .

Message 35 of 44
Latest reply

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 36 of 44
Latest reply

What?????????????????????

As I said before: "Sisterspeak"

When the unfortunately is a token word it is meaningless.

You seem happy to accept that women get the short straw in life.

Why use the derogatory term "sisterspeak" if you are not a sexist?

Message 37 of 44
Latest reply

wareubin
Community Member

Kevin Rudd declares war on Julia Gillard with blue-tie choice!!

Kevin Rudd pictured in Hurstville today, wearing a blue tie.

Message 38 of 44
Latest reply

IS: "I've been looking for signs that you really think it unfortunate ."

IS, if you use your convoluted grammar from above as search criteria, good luck. However,  I suspect that the Sisterhood outlook can best be described by:

"There's none so blind as those who will not see"

Message 39 of 44
Latest reply

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 40 of 44
Latest reply