Magic Mushrooms and Ecstasy being used for rmedical treatment of the depressed

Psychedelic compound found in magic mushrooms may help with anxiety and depression in cancer patients

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/psychedelic-compound-found-in-magic-mushrooms-may-help-with-anxiet...

A one-time, single-dose treatment of psilocybin, a compound found in psychedelic mushrooms, combined with psychotherapy appears to improve the emotional wellbeing of cancer patients for up to five years, researchers at NYU Grossman School of Medicine have found.

In a landmark study carried out in 2016, the team found that psilocybin combined with psychotherapy sessions produced immediate, substantial, and sustained improvements in anxiety and depression and led to decreases in cancer-related demoralisation and hopelessness, improved spiritual well-being, and increased quality of life in a group of 29 cancer patients.

Also

MDMA may help psychotherapists to treat post-traumatic stress disorder by rewiring patients’ brains

The psychoactive ingredient in the party drug ecstasy may help to strengthen bonds between patients and therapists.

A long read but fascinating to me that mainstream medicine is actually stepping right out of the box to consider such remedies. 

Message 1 of 2
Latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Magic Mushrooms and Ecstasy being used for rmedical treatment of the depressed

go-tazz
Community Member

We used to get bucket loads but I never partook as I don't like mushrooms.Whistle.gif

Message 2 of 2
Latest reply