Mania

When you're down at the shops or somewhere, and you see someone you know behaving in a manic fashion, like ranting, raving, or throwing money ...and clearly agitated,

do you say something?
Or ignore them?
Or try and stop them?
Or call the police?
Or phone for the response team?
Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Mania

The world, Joz, the whole world. On and on and on about it, causing a ruckus.
Message 21 of 31
Latest reply

Mania

Depends how well I "know them"

If it was someone whose health history I knew and i knew how to intervene (if appropriate) I would. With the person I have in mind who is likely to have a melt down in a public place, I'd isolate them, get them safe and call the ambos. and make sure i had jelly beans, an orange juice popper or a can of coke on standby.

If it was someone who had noth8ing to do with me, but I knew someone who knew what to do for them, I'd call that person to come and deal with it.

If it was just someone I knew in passing, I'd let the store management handle it.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 22 of 31
Latest reply

Mania

@just*duff wrote:

I would ignore them and mind my own business.

That is exactly what Mr Boris would say, he could be right but I never listen.Woman Happy I would worry about them, I'm hopeless.

Message 23 of 31
Latest reply

Mania

Thank you, DH, I'll take your expertise into account the next time I see it happening.
Message 24 of 31
Latest reply

Mania

I don't take this subject as a joke.

As a mother with a daughter diagnosed with bi polar, I once had someone call me to say my daughter had "lost" it.  I advised her to call the nearest hospital and ask for the CAT team to come and assess her.  (Crisis Assessment Team).  If they don't have a CAT team they will usually get the police to deal with it.

photo 214a93fa3a9e326200857a2dbc30e730_zps379416e4.jpg
Message 25 of 31
Latest reply

Mania

Anonymous
Not applicable
Agree sandy ..this thread is not funny ..

Karen I would ask them if there is any one I could call ..or call the CAT team ..

Bit disappointed in the mods leaving this thread ..they know there is a mental illness thread on these boards and quite a few posters suffer from bi polar ..

Poor moderation IMO !
Message 26 of 31
Latest reply

Mania

Yes, not funny at all.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 27 of 31
Latest reply

Mania

I would (and have) told centre management in a shopping centre if I believe someone is at risk to themselves or others. They are able to direct their security to the person immediately. If it is someone I know to be a mental health client I would contact the mental health team as well.
Message 28 of 31
Latest reply

Mania

silverfaun
Community Member

Behaviour like you describe suggests the person has mental health issues.

Trying to get help for these people is difficult, we only have to see that they are in the community, sometimes homeless, don't take their medication and end up doing someone harm as we have seen before in the media, murder is not out of the question if they are in a psychotic state.

If mentally ill people are in the community then ther'es nothing any of us can do to help them as the powers that be don't want to know and shove them out into the community toot sweet.

If you have  a mentally ill relation then you would know the difficulty in getting them help when they have a break. A stranger cannot help in this situation and the mentally ill have rights.

My suggestion is calling the police as they deal with this type of thing all the time but will they respond?

Message 29 of 31
Latest reply

Mania

I do believe the police would respond.  The person could be a danger to themselves and others.   And it's a total no no for the pharmacist to sedate as they don't know what meds this person could be on and how they would interract.

As for dealing with them it would depend on how well I knew them and if I felt they might trust me enough to let me talk to them.Otherwise I guess the police would be the obvious ones to contact as they know how to deal with these poor people. As someone said earlier it sounds like they could be on   meds but just don't take them, as so many don't.    Smiley Sad

Message 30 of 31
Latest reply