Mental Health Week

October 5th - 12th is Mental Health Week. A week of awareness, learning and interaction about mental health with October 10th being World Mental Health Day. There are events happening across the country. It is a time to be involved and help  reduce the stigma and lack of understanding of mental illness. For those of us who have precarious mental health, or have loved ones who do, it is a time of being heard and, hopefully, break down some of those barriers and misconceptions that still exist.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Mental Health Week

So important, thanks for posting this bluecat*dancing.

The ABC has devoted a lot of attention to this - good 'on em - with their "Mental As" focus.

http://www.abc.net.au/mentalas/

prostate cancer ribbon Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Mental Health Week

Q&A focussed on mental health in regional and rural areas and, apart from Katter's homophobia, was both brilliant and respectful. ABC2 sceened a few doco's regarding mental illness including a repeat of one about those who have attempted suicide. I look forward to seeing what else they have scheduled for this week.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Mental Health Week

Bump for Mental Health Week.  Hopefully we can keep this at the head of the topics rather than all those other "important" issues like burqa bans, political point-scoring and so forth.

prostate cancer ribbon Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Mental Health Week

@bluecat*dancing wrote:

Q&A focussed on mental health in regional and rural areas and, apart from Katter's homophobia, was both brilliant and respectful. ABC2 sceened a few doco's regarding mental illness including a repeat of one about those who have attempted suicide. I look forward to seeing what else they have scheduled for this week.

I agree, QandA was very good last night.  I was surprised by Josh more than anything.  "Hooray for gay people, here's some glitter"

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Mental Health Week

He was so good!  Love Josh Thomas.

Joono
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Mental Health Week

Excellent doco on ABC1 at the moment.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Mental Health Week

A snapshot of life in a psych ward. Ten years ago, I was in a psych hospital - a place that gave me a sense of safety and belonging. A place that I dream about during times of stress.A place that both calms and frightens me.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply