Mum of 6 with low IQ to be sterilised against her will

A WOMAN with a low IQ could be forcibly sterilised for her own good, a British judge has ruled.

A Court of Protection judgment in the UK approved a request by social services and health authority officials to ‘force entry’ into the woman’s home and use ‘necessary restraint’ to take her to hospital for the procedure.

The woman, who has autistic spectrum disorder and a ‘mild to borderline’ learning disability, has an IQ of 70.

She has a history of concealing her pregnancies and two of her children have been born at home in ‘grossly unhygienic circumstances’, the court heard.

The 36-year-old, who cannot be named, had an ‘extraordinary, tragic, and complex obstetric history’ and that she could ‘pay for [a future] pregnancy with her life’.

During one secret birth, her partner is believed to have used barbecue tongs as forceps, causing cuts to the baby’s head.

http://www.news.com.au/world/mum-of-6-with-low-iq-to-be-sterilised-against-her-will/story-fndir2ev-1...

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I guess the day had to come , I think we may see more of this in the future
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

"Neither the woman nor her partner have shown interest in their existing children."...... sounds like the right thing to do. The father of the kids should be done also.

siggie-reported-by-alarmists..............
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

vicr3000
Community Member

Is it for her benefit or the babies ?

Sounds like the babies.

I am not adverse to these type of finding but I do have reservations on the Gov't services that somehow decide to go to court

to get the court order, based on some of the monumental c ock ups that have occurred.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

The court order is to save her life...... all the kids have been taken away from the pair.

siggie-reported-by-alarmists..............
Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

While half of me is saying "Its about it"  the other half has reservations.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

I don't know what happens now, but in the past parents had to fight the courts in order to have severely mentally disabled children sterilised.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Of-course, people who are not capable taking care of themselves, not to mention children, should be prevented from having them.   if that means sterilisation, so be it.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Absolutely.  

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

It's about her own life too. Sad situation all round.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply