Old Chinwag Craft Board Block Swap 2007

Sometime in early 2007, the Craft Board quilters got together and organised a Block Swap. We had to design and prepare enough blocks to make a quilt for ourselves, provide the first block completed and send the package on to the other crafty people in the swap.
We each completed a block in everyone's set.
My quilt was for my grandsons' bedroom in my home. I set a theme of teddy bears and boy's toys.
Most of these quilts have been finished for some time....... but.... I could not make a decision on how to do mine until recently.
I learned so much in that year and can't thank everyone who was involved enough! My applique skills are much improved.
So, thank you ♥
Sewinggilly123
Nanarener
Nelson333Nelson
T Hugs
Billngrace
Patcher246
Tasfleur
I have also sewn the labels of the blockmakers onto the back of the quilt, behind the relevant blocks.
I made mine into a quillow, a quilt that folds into a pillow, so one of the blocks is on the back of the quilt and when folded into it, becomes a pillow.
My 3 yo grandaughter looked at it and said "Gran, that is brilliant" and that is a good recommendation, so I have to thank everyone who was involved.
Pics in post 1
Message 1 of 1,973
Latest reply
1,972 REPLIES 1,972

keeliaclare
Community Member
Yes, my Mum made loads. When I was a kid, back in the olden days, we had a beach house (or as they were called in NZ a "bach") and all the blankets were made by my Mum out of all sorts of things, but all wool:

old blankets, babies blankets, old army blankets, bits of red flannel. They were great, nothing fancy, just big squares with an old blanket for backing, but really warm and colourful. As a kid I loved them, They were all edged with blanket stitch.

Great idea, would love to see your results:-)
Message 551 of 1,973
Latest reply

rosymog
Community Member
oh hell don't ask me eloi, l am a watcher of the fine arts of quilting, though l can sew a smidge

my first step would be

bribing, bribe a quilter with baskets of fat quarters
hhhhhh
Message 552 of 1,973
Latest reply

keeliaclare
Community Member
bumble fingers, rosy. lol

what's the set-up, to make one of these things,
what's the first step.

LOL me a fumble bumble too, but from memory they were very simple, random shapes of woollen fabric, cut into squares & oblongs, sewn together until the desired size was reached, then backed. I don't remember any wadding,padding or quilting, but you could of course.

Someone much more knowledgeable than me could probably guide you. The Americans also make something called rag quilts, but I don't know if they are the same?

Best wait for an expert:^O
Message 553 of 1,973
Latest reply

what the devil is a fat quarter

lol

i'm used to technical things, like mechanics, makin' one of these things must be just a matter of logical plannin'.

goin' to get some zees, and think on it, cya.
Message 554 of 1,973
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
Karen, unfortunately I don't think I can find the time for another group, but, you know, I am always happy to share "Kevins" with everybody.

So....Shazz............and girls..........................would you be interested in meeting a "Kevin".....I wonder?
Message 555 of 1,973
Latest reply

The many faces of Kevin
Message 556 of 1,973
Latest reply

Message 557 of 1,973
Latest reply

wavs good morning 😄

lots of reading to do.....gawd u lot can talk :^O

bbs with my 2 cents worth
Message 558 of 1,973
Latest reply

ewwwwww @ licked snickers :^O
picnics are better lol

ya dont need one of them whizz bang flash quilting machines jules (well not just yet anyways hehe) ive got me little janome my excel and its great
funny though i was only thinking meself yesterday that a nice new whizz bang flash quilting machine would be nice :^O

i reckon u can make quilts out of whateva ya like eloi, a blankie one would be so warm n snuggly
a fat 1/4 is 18x22 inches, its got something to do with the way its cut from the bolt....that part gets to technical for me lol

oh oh i would luv a kevin for my garden please, soxy little beast he is :8}
Message 559 of 1,973
Latest reply

Just quickly on daughters computer so I can keep an eye on you lot!

Great to see we have another victim - whoops I mean convert.

Look forward to seeing the woollen quilt - in the old days I believe the early pioneers used to make them and they were called waggas (I think).

We are having a wonderful time - took a couple of days to get down here and met up with a couple of people from here on the way - could have stayed forever chatting to both of them, and so glad we met them.

Looking forward to lst Wals party tomorrow - will report on rosymogs behaviour.

Be good - and for our new quilter - make sure you put the guard back on your rotary cutter every time you put it down - my DD forgot, knocked it off the table and sliced her toe!!

We will be back end of next week, but will try to jump on the puter again :-x
Message 560 of 1,973
Latest reply