Pensioner who killed himself after begging for help over benefit cuts

Warning disturbing details in link

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-tragic-tale-of-the-pensioner-who-killed-himself-a...

Malcolm Burge, 66, faced a bill of £800 because of a payments mix-up by Newham Council. With a bank balance of only £50, he took the only way out he could see

When will this happen in Australia, if it hasn't already?

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Looks like England is going back to Dickensian conditions,

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

j*oono
Community Member

That is incredibly sad.

Joono
Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Happened in Athens last time I was there, a retired chemist shot himself in the head in Syntagma Square, this was his note....

“The occupation government of Tsolakoglou* literally annihilated any possibility for my survival that was depended on a decent pension which only I personally paid for 35 years (without any state support).

Because my age does not give me the possibility for a dynamic reaction (without meaning that if a Greek would grab the kalashnikov, I wouldn’t be the second one [to grab one], I see no other solution than the decent end before I start searching in the garbage for food.

I believe that one day the youth without future will take the arms and hang upside down at Syntagma Square the national traitors as the Italians did with Mussolini  in 1945 Piazza Poreto in Milan)”

http://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2012/04/04/athens-suicide-man-leaves-behind-shocking-note/

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

That is very sad.

I read about a women who is camping on a river on the outskirts of a large town as she has nowhere else to live (in NSW). One community group gave her a tent/bedding.. another community group gives her food. She is located near a public toilet block.

She can shower sometimes at the camping ground or at one of the community groups office.

Nowhere else available for her to live.

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

Looks like England is going back to Dickensian conditions,

Looks like the sob stories are being dragged out for support. Pathetic.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

@j*oono wrote:

That is incredibly sad.

Agreed.

If you only have a fraction of the money you owe, then the debt might as well be a million.  This was not a man who lived extravagently, ran up debts or fiddled his entitlements.  The blame clearly rests with the various departments who through their own bureaucratic incompetence hounded then drove this man to his death.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

I did not see any disturbing details.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

@happyroo_bunji wrote:

Warning disturbing details in link

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-tragic-tale-of-the-pensioner-who-killed-himself-a...

Malcolm Burge, 66, faced a bill of £800 because of a payments mix-up by Newham Council. With a bank balance of only £50, he took the only way out he could see

When will this happen in Australia, if it hasn't already?

Meanwhile the British Government pays benefits to European foreign workers , Pays them child welfare payments for their children still living in the home countries which are then used to fund their home improvements.

Britain has become the cash cow for many temporary Europeans just wanting to pick up easy money.

Shame on any of our countries that makes what this man did seem the only way out  and shame on us if we don't find it totally unacceptable

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

@paintsew007 wrote:

I did not see any disturbing details.

One time I posted a video of TAC type ads but from England, and got throughly blasted for not giving a warning in my OP.

Btw, you don't think a man pouring petrol on himself and then setting himself on fire is not disturbing?  The fact that only a small group of teenagers rushed to his aid yet there were many cars in the area and none of them stopped to help isn't disturbing?

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply