Queen Elizabeth II has died

The Queen had died, aged 96.

Longest-ruling UK monarch in its history, much respected, greatly loved in the UK… 

No news as yet on cause of death, but she’s had health issues over the last couple of years. There were fears for her health and the Palace advised her to cancel a virtual Privy Council meeting on Thursday.

Farewell to a strong, capable lady who was undertaking her duties even up to two days before her death, when she appointed Liz Truss as the new Prime Minister.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

The BBC live coverage: 

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-62842089

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

No news as yet on cause of death, but she’s had health issues over the last couple of years. There were fears for her health and the Palace advised her to cancel a virtual Privy Council meeting on Thursday.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a few days ago I read that Prince Charles (now King Charles III) was visiting her every day, probably expecting her to die soon.

As you said, no cause of death has been named yet, but they said she died peacefully.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

It is the end of an era. No matter what people think of the monarchy, there is no doubt she devoted her life to her job and was a figure of stability over the decades,  whatever else was happening in the world. Only 2 days before her death, she was having a formal meeting with the new British PM. I'd be sure she was quite frail at that point.

I doubt there will be a 70 year reign again. Even Prince William is now older than she was when she became queen.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

she set the standard by which all others will be judged.

A huge loss for England, the UK, the Commonwealth and the World.

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

I was on night duty and heard the first tv announcement of her death approx 0320hrs. (3.20am)

I was really saddened by the reality of her death. 

I am a Royalist. I was really hoping with baited breath that Charlie would pass over to William, but nope! 
I also noted that the now, Queen Consort,  exited the Royal car before the King today and wandered off on her own to talk to onlookers, while King Charles III  was still exiting the car.
She will need to learn her place …….  She is to play 2nd fiddle now! (I bet she won’t, though)

Anyway, I will miss Old Lillibet. I absolutely adored her 😢💔

May she rest in eternal peace 🙏 

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

The thing with the system of royalty, which I think a lot of modern people have trouble accepting, is it is an inherited position. It's not a democracy, we don't get to vote. It passes from one person to their child or sibling. By the nature of the system, sometimes you'll get gold, like the queen, sometimes you might get a dud.

Charles will probably be okay, he has been depicted as a bit strange but that's because he was into organic gardening and recycling etc well before the public got on the bandwagon.

I think it is right and fitting, in the context, that Charles gets the job. It is what the queen wanted, she even chose Camilla's title. There is no logical reason that Charles should pass it on to William, that would be akin to abdication and unless he had serious health issues, I don't think it would be the right thing for him to do.

And in a lot of ways, I think it is kinder on William and his family too. They can lead as normal a life as possible in the meantime.

Plus, there is nothing to say William will live another 60 years or even another year. Odds are he will, but if he didn't, the crown would pass to his son George and that, I think, would be a constitutional crisis for the monarchy as George won't be old enough to do the job for a couple of decades.

I actually don't mind Camilla. I saw her interviewed and she seemed like a level headed woman. I know she isn't as glamourous as Diana was but it should never be just about the glamour.  I think her personality is probably much more suited to Charles, it is a pity he didn't marry her in the first place.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Thank you Springy. I wouldn’t call myself a modern generation, and I am very well educated on how the Royal family line proceeds. 
I just didn’t want Charles to take the Throne. 
I don’t like Camilla. I respect her position in the Royal Family, but I just don’t like her. And this has nothing to do with her looks. She was stunningly beautiful in her younger days (weren’t we all 😉)

I think now, the people need a Ruler who is young and fresh, who can grasp the goings on and keep up with it. I find Charles a tad too relaxed for the job at hand. 
Kate can handle anything. She has already proved herself in that regard. And nothing about their life, ever was or ever will be *normal*. 

That being said…. I absolutely agree with you one your statement that Charles should have married Camilla but his family thought it an unfit union due to Camilla having had previous ‘serious relationships’ 

Of course, the church had to change its ruling in 2002 so that Charles could marry Camilla and still keep his position to the throne. Up until then, if he remarried, he would not become King. The Church of England had strict rules on Royal Succession. But they married in 2005, with the churches blessing. 

But it’s obvious that they loved each other, and who are we to stand in the way of true love. 

Noted that Camilla and Andrew divorced  in 1995 and  then Charles and Di divorced the following year in 1996.  All a bit too *pre-planned* I felt. 

Anyway, regardless of all that, King Charles III  it is and so….LONG LIVE THE KING. 

Added a few pics of Camilla in her youth. I think she was stunning.  Wearing the black dress in both pics, and her wedding to Major Andrew Parker Bowles.

D41E3594-75A7-44A1-8FF7-EBA1CC0CCAC3.jpeg    9870A58F-EF80-4509-90D4-B62414BEFA1D.jpeg    

4DBAE8EE-8C96-4E33-8C9F-375E23EE80AA.jpeg

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

I’m no particular Charles fan. (Nor do I warm up to Camilla, but she hasn’t courted the press since marrying Charles, which I think may have helped her image somewhat.) As he’s king, though, I hope he does a good job of all that’s involved. Queen Elizabeth had it down to a fine art.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

I feel like you, Jane, and no, it has nothing to do with looks. Maybe it is something unconscious because I would have preferred Diana to be in her place.

Springy, didn't you once say that you are a distant cousin of Diana?

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply