R.I.P. Gerry Marsden

Gerry and the Pacemakers star Gerry Marsden, whose version of You'll Never Walk Alone was Liverpool Football Club's anthem, dies aged 78

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-04/gerry-pacemakers-star-liverpool-youll-never-walk-alone-dies/1...

(6) Without You (Stereo) (2008 Remaster) - YouTube

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

R.I.P. Gerry Marsden

Very sad news. He was an integral part of that great music to come out of England in the 60s.Not just talking Brit Invasion stuff either. Just great pop and beat stuff.  Manfred Man, The Tremloes, Johnny Kidd & the Pirates, Alan Price, Georgie Fame,  The Casuals etc... You knew by their sound they were English.  All made great music. Gerry Marsden was an icon too. RIP.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

R.I.P. Gerry Marsden

Sad news.

My favourite song by Gerry and the Pacemakers (and Gerry Marsden also wrote it) is Ferry Cross the Mersey.

I've got a few of their hits on singles.  Last year I finally got around to buying a best of CD set.

Vale Gerry Marsden.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

R.I.P. Gerry Marsden

Paul McCartney has paid tribute to his old friend Gerry Marsden, who died at 78 after an illness related to a heart infection.

McCartney had a personal connection to the Gerry and the Pacemakers frontman, from the band's beginnings in Liverpool alongside the Beatles.

"Gerry was a mate from our early days in Liverpool. He and his group were our biggest rivals on the local scene. His unforgettable performances of You’ll Never Walk Alone and Ferry Cross the Mersey remain in many people’s hearts as reminders of a joyful time in British music," McCartney wrote in a heartfelt post on Twitter about the "You’ll Never Walk Alone" singer Sunday evening (Jan. 3)."

"My sympathies go to his wife Pauline and family," he said. "See ya, Gerry. I’ll always remember you with a smile."

RIP

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

R.I.P. Gerry Marsden

A brilliant musician.

His spirit will always dwell at Anfield.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply