Recommendations please - Overseas sim cards prepaid

I am off to UK in a few weeks and need a prepaid sim card. I figure that a sim card providor in UK would give me good data rates.

I need majority data and less voice...

any brand suggestions please

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Would it be worth posting this query on the ebay UK board? They are more likely to know which telecom offer good deals for prepaid calls & data.

Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

Travel sim from Australia post
Photobucket
Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

If your phone/modem is unlocked it is way less expensive to get a prepaid sim when you get to the country you are traveling to.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

Buy one when you are over there .... then if it doesn't work you can go back and rant at them (in person)

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

Even if your phone/modem is locked to a particular carrier it is still way cheaper to get it unlocked and buy a prepaid sim in the country of your destination

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

Hope you dont mind me butting in on your thread but I was going to ask a similar question myself.

I'm going to Thailand in a few weeks and I dont know anything about phones overseas.

My phone is probably locked to telstra so should I have it unlocked and get a new sim when I'm there? Same deal for a samsung galaxy tablet?

For some reason I had in my head that I'd need to get a different phone over there.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

In Greece, I brought this phone card (slip of paper) from a street kiosk. It had a long row of numbers on it, whenever I called home or whoever you enter all the numbers in first. At the beginning of each call you would be told how many minutes you had left, it was cheap 10 or 12 euro's. Other times I had my mobile and i did use it quite a few times, charges differ from country to country, it was pretty expensive, almost $300 by the time I got home.

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

There are other solutions also for overseas communication. The alternative is to acquire a portable unlocked hotspot an then use Skype as your messaging system

If you have a smartphone it most likely has Skype installed, if not it is a free download. Most smartphones also have hotspot capability.

I use that method whenever I go overseas I have an unlocked portable hotspot and buy a simcard in the country of destination and then uses either the phone or the tablet installed Skype app.

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

@poddster wrote:

If your phone/modem is unlocked it is way less expensive to get a prepaid sim when you get to the country you are traveling to.

That is what the OP said isn't it?

.... I figure that a sim card providor in UK would give me good data rates.

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply