Recovering from heart surgery.

G'day all. I haven't been in here for a long time, but I presume quite a few of you remember me. Smiley Happy

A bit over 2 years ago my Doctor thought it prudent to investigate the murmur I had in my heart (which I'd had all my life) because I was at the time coming up to 60 years of age. An Echocardiogram was done & it found I had Aortic stenosis, which is a narrowing of the aortic valve opening, caused by my valve being calcified.

I had no chest pain, fainting or dizzy spells, palpitations or noticable pounding heart beats, so the cardiologist was reluctant for me to have sugery. Had an Echo stress test late last year on the treadmill which confirmed it was getting worse, so surgery was recommended even though I was still not showing any bad signs. First date for the operation was 10th April this year but that was cancelled on the morning of the Op, & was subsequently cancelled 6 more times over the next 2 months.

I finally had the operation on the 21st of last month at the Austin Hospital in Heidelberg, Melbourne. I was in theatre for a bit under 6 hours, 17 hours in Intensive Care then moved to the Cardiac Recovery Ward as I was deemed well enough to be moved out of ICU. Was in Hospital for a total of 9 days & was driven back to town by a friend on Saturday 30th June. I opted for a mechanical valve because of my age. Organic valves are only guaranteed for 15 to 20 years & I don't want to do this again in my 70s or 80s.

I was at another friends place for the first week, but am now home in my own house. My sternum is healing well (they have to cut that in half to get to your heart then wire it back together), I can now breathe deeply without it hurting but still have to put pressure on it when I cough but it's getting less painful every day. Still not allowed to drive the car for another 4 weeks, but that's ok as I have to excercise every day by walking.

Andrew

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Welcome back.

Great to have that behind you now.

I guess it's too early to tell whether you feel like you have better circulation and oxygen supply ?

Are there any special medications you need to be on because of having a mech valve ?

image host
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

G'day Kopes. Yes, it will take a couple of months to fully recover, but I feel fine now. I have to take Warfarin every day for the rest of my life to stop the development of blood clots which could hinder or even stop the operation of the new valve. I think it's a small price to pay knowing this new valve will outlive me.

Cheers. 

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Hi falcon, lovely to see you posting - you probably won't recall me

under this ID but you know me from way way back Woman LOL

Am I correct pipin is no longer with you?

Pleased to read you have recovered from extensive surgery and you

are on the mend - talking of walking Mr is here waiting for me to get

the joggers on for our 6km walk. Take care and keep the walking up 

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

I remember exactly who you are D. Smiley Tongue Smiley Happy

Yes, you are correct, Pippin passed away just before Xmas 2010. She was just over 16.

I'm just about to go for one of my walks I have to do, you take care also.

Andrew 

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Sending my very best wishes Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

very best wishes for a quick recovery        Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply