Sir Joh and Lady Flo

Sir Joh and Lady Flo: Why Queensland's former first couple still stir such strong emotions

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-21/flo-bjelke-petersen-death-sparks-awkward-memories-for-queensla...

He was a criminal who should have been put in prison.

she lived off criminal profits.

if my brother stole money and i took some to buy a car i'd get done as recieving stolen money.

the whole act they had of looking like a couple of doderers was a cover for a pair of master criminals.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Sir Joh and Lady Flo

johcaschro
Community Member
RIP Flo Bjelke-Petersen – but let's not forget Joh's legacy

The qualities of the wife of Queensland’s longest-serving premier were eclipsed by the divisive, corrupt politics of her husband’s government

"To many in Queensland, she was just Lady Flo. A long-serving Nationals senator, party powerbroker and widow to the state’s longest-serving leader, Florence Bjelke-Petersen was as famous for her pumpkin scones and hospitality at the family’s Bethany homestead in Kingaroy.

But it was her marriage to Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen, the sunshine state’s most divisive leader – who oversaw what became known as one of the most corrupt governments in the country’s history – that made Lady Bjelke-Petersen part of the fabric of Queensland.

Amid the many tributes from across the political divide pouring in on Wednesday after her death aged 97, came a tweet from the prime minister, Malcolm Turnbull, who praised not only Flo but Joh himself, thanking the pair for their “vision and leadership”, which helped shaped Queensland."

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/dec/21/rip-flo-bjelke-petersen-but-lets-not-forget-j...

Either Malcolm Turnbull has a short memory or he really believes that Joh and Flo were good for Qld

Sure Joh "helped shape Queensland", but in a way which will forever live in infamy.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Sir Joh and Lady Flo

Ddont ddont you worry about that..........

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Sir Joh and Lady Flo

David, I think you are basically right about Joh, but I don't think Flo is guilty of anything other than standing by her man. I was around when he controlled a police State and it was terrible. But she was a decent lady who performed her duty admirably and professionally. I don't think she deserves to be remembered solely as his wife. She achieved a lot as an individual and I am convinced that she was a good woman with a genuinely good heart. But that is just my opinion.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Sir Joh and Lady Flo

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men stand by and do nothing

Or in this case, women?

Let's face it, she was a right-wing politician and the wife of a right wing politician who might make Ghengis Khan look like a leftie.

If you lived in Qld during Joh's reign then you'd know just what he/they really stood for and what they supported and what, by their political leanings and their considerable political power, they enabled.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Sir Joh and Lady Flo

@johcaschro wrote:

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men stand by and do nothing

Or in this case, women?

Let's face it, she was a right-wing politician and the wife of a right wing politician who might make Ghengis Khan look like a leftie.

If you lived in Qld during Joh's reign then you'd know just what he/they really stood for and what they supported and what, by their political leanings and their considerable political power, they enabled.

Heavy words, "evil", "Ghengis Khan". Thank goodness most Queenslanders I know who were there have chosen to judge her by her achievements and failings, rather than his. She would like that, given that she was such a trailblazing feminist and believed women could achieve in their own right. Maybe it's a Queenslander thing hey, we are a bit backwards you know!

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Sir Joh and Lady Flo

Joh was born in the same place I was in New Zealand LOL

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply