So now We are One.

So now We are "One". What does that mean?

Does it mean we now recognise we are a multicultural society and do not support racism? Does it mean will will no longer discriminate between the ethnic races? Will we advocate for financial equality for all Australians where people do not get extra benefits because of their race? Will all Australians take the knee when white, black or ethnic Australians suffer a wrongful death because all lives matter? Will the historical resentment and hate heal?

Somehow I don't think so.

Message 1 of 90
Latest reply
89 REPLIES 89

So now We are One.

Does it mean we now recognise we are a multicultural society and do not support racism?  Yes [to me]

Does it mean will will no longer discriminate between the ethnic races? Yes [to me]

Will we advocate for financial equality for all Australians where people do not get extra benefits because of their race? Yes [to me]

Will all Australians take the knee when white, black or ethnic Australians suffer a wrongful death because all lives matter? Yes [to me]

Will the historical resentment and hate heal? Yes [to me]

As for everyone else we'll see, sadly like you said - Somehow I don't think so.

Message 2 of 90
Latest reply

So now We are One.

@not_for_sale2024 wrote:

Does it mean we now recognise we are a multicultural society and do not support racism? Does it mean will will no longer discriminate between the ethnic races? Will we advocate for financial equality for all Australians where people do not get extra benefits because of their race? Will all Australians take the knee when white, black or ethnic Australians suffer a wrongful death because all lives matter? Will the historical resentment and hate heal?

Somehow I don't think so.

"One"  one law of the land for all ? 

thinking about the words , what does "free" mean ? free from what ? 

Message 3 of 90
Latest reply

So now We are One.

That came out of the blue before he went on holidays (again).  I'd prefer a new anthum as the current one doesn't  mean much to anyone in Australia.

Please don't give me Peter Allen or Daryl Brathwaitee.

Message 4 of 90
Latest reply

So now We are One.

I think it is meant to mean the same thing as the line in that other song, we are one, but we are many.

Message 5 of 90
Latest reply

So now We are One.

Apparently it is so we recognise the indigenous being part of this western written song and country.

image host
Message 6 of 90
Latest reply

So now We are One.

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

@not_for_sale2024 wrote:

Will the historical resentment and hate heal?

Not if people listen to Anthony Mundine.

He was complaining even before most people had heard of the changes.

Message 7 of 90
Latest reply

So now We are One.

The whole concept of national anthems is archaic 19th century jingoistic claptrap, long past its use-by date.

If we were truly "young and free", we'd ditch any national anthem altogether, and celebrate our part in humanity as a whole.

Message 8 of 90
Latest reply

So now We are One.

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@not_for_sale2024 wrote:

Will the historical resentment and hate heal?

Not if people listen to Anthony Mundine.

He was complaining even before most people had heard of the changes.

Well the current anthem does not exactly stir the emotions of tearful recollection of a nostalgic and worthy bygone era of the blissful stone-age hunter-gathers who first 200 years ago gazed upon the strange humanoids who wore protective covers over sickly pale skin , smelt before seen , of wild darting eyes and high pitched chatter 

Message 9 of 90
Latest reply

So now We are One.

It's a change that was long overdue. Not only does 'young and free' have  racist overtones - it is also smacks of agism. We may all be "free" (whatever that means) but we are certainly not all young.

If, as Mark Latham insists, the words are meant to  to celebrate how recent our nationhood is, then they should read  "Our nation's young and free" not 'we are young and free."

And let's face it, the words are just that - words on paper - they are not a sacred text engraved on tablets of stone. We already changed 'Australia's sons' to something less sexist. 

Message 10 of 90
Latest reply