So you've been hacked and your ID stolen.

So you've been hacked and your ID stolen. What happens next?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-12/what-happens-next-after-your-id-is-hacked/10231018

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

authorities worldwide have had their heads in the sand regarding cyber crime.

all of us get called often by 'scammers' trying to trick us into paying them money.

but where is the action from world authorities to crack down and arrest and jail the culprets?

most are based in india! why is it the indian government isnt finding these scumbags and stopping them?

why are the governments of the world not calling on the countries who allow these criminals to set up business in there jurastictions to do something about it OR ELSE!

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

I remember when the Internet first started up, no firewalls, and no internet security.  This was never designed to be a safe system. I shudder to think that all of our personal details, even our signatures at the bank are all online. I would never do Internet Banking. I was told on good authority that the head of Cyber Security in Australia, will not do Internet Banking. What worries me, is that not only is the whole system insecure, the people who work in our banks and Institutions have no idea about Internet Security. Emails are not safe, yet I have had passwords and other personal details sent to me via email. Now eBay say they will send emails with full names and usernames together, that is a very risky move for us.

Someone with a foreign name has opened a bank account using my address. How is that possible? We had the house built in a new estate, and have been the only occupants. Complaining to the bank and demanding they cancel this account got me nowhere, they state they have to protect the customer (the scammer) What could they do next? What gets me, is that if a scammer sells your house out from under you, then the purchaser does not lose out, but gets the property, and the original owner loses their home. How is that justice? Just let anyone try that here!!!

I did a lot of reading about Internet Security before I even got a PC, which we were much later than everyone else to go down that path. I am just astounded at how many people have no idea at all about any of this.  I am constantly annoyed by the scammers on the phone, and the reality is, that if people woke up, and stopped falling for these scams, then they would eventually stop.

All I can say, is that if I get scammed, someone else had better take responsibility, because I do my utmost to keep on top of things and keep my information safe. I keep as much personal information out of my computer as I possibly can, and can only hope for the best.

When the Politicians are affected then we may see some change, until then, just keep your fingers crossed.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply