Sydney Uni Law School to Teach Sharia Law

Australia's most prestigious law school has introduced courses which teach students how sharia law could be incorporated into Australia's legal system.

As part of Muslim Minorities And The Law, professors Salim Farrar and Dr Ghena Krayem are teaching Sydney University students how polygamy and lowering the age of consent could be sufficiently applied to Western civilisation.

The course uses a book, written by the professors, that promotes the idea that “sharia law and common law are not inherently incompatible.

A portion of the textbook identifies the benefits of turning away from monogamous relationships and notes how sharia law does not recognise the minimum age in marriage.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/36373595/sydney-university-course-teaching-sharia-law-benefits/#page...

Jeez. How can polygamy and underage marriage be compatible with Australian law?

Message 1 of 55
Latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

@legarlu wrote:

Totally agree daydreams2. Also in SYdney the number of Muslim schools, eg Australian INternational Academy at Kellyville, and another a couple kilometres away in Beaumont Hills and new ones being built at Penrith, Camden, etc.  With the Muslim population at 2.2%seems they're all in Sydney

In my area it is about 7% and rising. The school I used to teach at had about 30% muslim students.

Don't get me wrong, they were nice enough kids on the whole and so were the parents.

But I can still recall talking to some of the young ones (about Year 1-2 level) and they were shocked when i suggested they were Australian as they had been born here. They strenuously denied being Australian, in fact.

Unfortunately some in the area have turned to more radical beliefs, had plans to blow up Fountain Gate Shopping centre at one stage.

My reading of it is that if 25-30% of the youth are muslims, we need to be integrating them to our culture before they reach adulthood. But the opposite is happening in the efforts to be culturally inclusive, every nationality is given a look in except the English speaking ones. They are proud of their culture, about time we had some pride in ours. If we don't, why wouldn't they think theirs is better?

Message 11 of 55
Latest reply

Unfortunately, the pride in our culture and history has been drummed out of us.

We used to have unity, patriotism, family values, faith in our christian beliefs.

Now wer'e just racist white supremacists and redneck bigots it seems. 

We've lost our Christian faith, our young ppl are swamped with drugs and alcohol. Partying and Careers come before creating families and raising children to be functional adults. Communities are fragmented and large families have given way to single parent units. 

We abort our children at the rate of 100.000 or so per annum. We are introducing same sex marriage. Our population is aging and so many of our old ppl suffer elder abuse.

Why would they want to integrate with us? We've become dysfunctional, as a nation.

Neither do they particularly want to absorb us. They see us as white trash.

Social engineering at it's finest.

Message 12 of 55
Latest reply

johcaschro
Community Member

Voltaire nailed it when he said that;

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”

To me, all these atrocious religions are absurd. It wouldn't be so bad if people kept their religious beliefs to themselves and in their own heads, but it's a sad fact that some of these religious convicts needs must impose their own personal misery on others.

Message 13 of 55
Latest reply

@johcaschro wrote:

Voltaire nailed it when he said that;

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”

To me, all these atrocious religions are absurd. It wouldn't be so bad if people kept their religious beliefs to themselves and in their own heads, but it's a sad fact that some of these religious convicts needs must impose their own personal misery on others.

That's a very western democratic view though.

We've been immersed in a culture that says treat people equally, don't discriminate, respect the right of people to have their own opinions, allow people personal freedom etc

I'm not saying it always works that way in reality, but that has been touted as the ideal.

But it is not the world view of a lot of other people. One thing that has absolutely astounded me has been some of the women's lib leaders. Back in the '70s, they were strident, calling for change, challenging what they saw as prejudice or unfair treatment of women. Fast forward to today. When questioned about islam, some just reply-oh well, that is their culture.

Yet they fought our culture tooth and nail, they weren't willing to accept the status quo back then.

What bemuses me is if you say 'That's their culture, we should respect it and let them practice it' in our society, then don't people realise it is a different world view? They don't necessarily support the view to allow the rest of society to do as it pleases. In time, I wonder what some of the women's libbers would say if they found sharia law imposed on their own grandchildren, believers or not?

Message 14 of 55
Latest reply

I just wrote a long post which vanished in the mist when i hit the post button (thanks, ebay)

the question I was asking is "are Good and Evil relative concepts or do they exist as absolutes?" 

the question is bound up with the thought  that Cultural Relativity is a valid and acceptable idea. (I don't think it is)

And I'm as surprised as you are and very disappointed  that a lot of people calling themselves Feminists today are curiously mute on the subject of the treatment of women in Islam and on the very teachings re the treatment of women in Islam.

Message 15 of 55
Latest reply

@johcaschro wrote:

I just wrote a long post which vanished in the mist when i hit the post button (thanks, ebay)

the question I was asking is "are Good and Evil relative concepts or do they exist as absolutes?" 

the question is bound up with the thought  that Cultural Relativity is a valid and acceptable idea. (I don't think it is)

And I'm as surprised as you are and very disappointed  that a lot of people calling themselves Feminists today are curiously mute on the subject of the treatment of women in Islam and on the very teachings re the treatment of women in Islam.

I don't know the answer to your question about whether good & evil are absolutes or relative.

I was brought up in a Christian religion that argued they definitely exist but that the concept of commiting  'sin' depends on the freedom of the person to choose and doing it deliberately.

But we can see that across the world, concepts of right/wrong do differ. Sometimes drastically. So in that sense it is relative.

Most cultures though do have some beliefs in common-usually murder, theft & incest are not condoned, for example.

What i see worrying about a law school teaching sharia law & how it can be integrated is-where is it supposed to lead?

As far as I can see, it will lead to quite a few clued up graduates who know their way around the law & will have the means & power to move for change.

Most of us complain about laws(or more commonly, sentencing) now, but those with the real power to do anything are lawyers, judges and those who can change legislation.

That's where I see this heading.

I just hope it isn't taxpayer funds backing this.

Message 16 of 55
Latest reply

SHARTA LAW!

If a woman in a muslim coutry gets raped and reports it, the court demands at least two male wifnesses. If the woman can not produce the required two male witnesses she will be severely punished for having sex outside of marriage. Even her own family willostracise her for bringing shame on the family. She may even be killed by one family member.

It has happenef not only to muslim women, but also to western women being either a tourist or an employed worker.

Where is the right and respect for women???

And don't let me start on child abuse. Mohamed himself took for a wife a girl only nine years old.

Am I racist?

With such demands to change our laws. Yes, I am.

Erica

Message 17 of 55
Latest reply

I don't have a problem with this course.  From the article it is optional and educational.  These are smart kids who can only benefit from learning about alternative laws and cultures.  If it is all bad they will identify this and be more likely to argue against it.

How can learning about anything be bad?

More concerned about the interview at the bottom with Jacqui Lambie.  Really, what is she doing in parliament?

Message 18 of 55
Latest reply

From the OP's link:

"As part of Muslim Minorities And The Law, professors Salim Farrar and Dr Ghena Krayem are teaching Sydney University students how polygamy and lowering the age of consent could be sufficiently applied to Western civilisation."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/36373595/sydney-university-course-teaching-sharia-law-benefits/#play

I strongly support education and the learning about other cultures, but this course is not about pure learning; it's about learning how certain aspects of sharia law could be applied to Western civilisation as if there were no controversy at all about the appropriateness of doing this, but as if it were a course just designed to investigate the mechanics of so doing.

There is no question but that the teachers have a particular bias towards sharia law and no question that they are not merely exploring education in a purely disinterested, academic sense.

By all means teach about it and learn about it but maybe not from people who demonstrably hold an interested position.

Message 19 of 55
Latest reply

Maybe being lectured by people with bias is good training for a career in law.

Message 20 of 55
Latest reply