Tax scam that prompted ACCC warning

Tax scam that prompted ACCC warning almost tricked this Tasmanian woman, until a retail worker stepped in

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-14/woman-avoids-scam-with-help-from-tasmanian-retail-worker/1061...

i often wonder after hanging up on a scammer 'do these things still work?'

i get calls pretty regular, at least 5 a week.

so i'm very well versed on the carp they talk.

i just put the phone down on the counter once they say who they are pretending to be and let them talk to themselves until they realise ive gone and they hang up.

obviously this young lady has been living in a dreamy world and reads no news or any of the documents the various real authorities send warning about scammers.

to be told by the tax department to buy gift cards to pay a debt should wake up even the silliest consumer, obviously not.

every bank account holder, every taxpayer, in fact pretty much everybody should have heard about scammers by now.

and all these institutions should be doing their bit to alert all customers regularly.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

go-tazz
Community Member

@davidc4430 wrote:

Tax scam that prompted ACCC warning almost tricked this Tasmanian woman, until a retail worker stepped in

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-14/woman-avoids-scam-with-help-from-tasmanian-retail-worker/1061...

i often wonder after hanging up on a scammer 'do these things still work?'

i get calls pretty regular, at least 5 a week.

so i'm very well versed on the carp they talk.

i just put the phone down on the counter once they say who they are pretending to be and let them talk to themselves until they realise ive gone and they hang up.

That's probably why you keep getting the calls as they know that the connection is live but there may be a

problem with the current line,(eg: you can't hear them).

That's why you will stay on their list as a number to be called back,(because you answered and gave no negative

response).

Quickest,simplest and easiest way is to just call them out by telling them that they are a scammer and that

they are,(insert whatever "bad" words you want,the more the merrier) and you'll find that they hang up real

quick and they'll remove you from their list as they now know your number is not live).

Scammers are looking for gullible people and if you call them out as a scammer they know you are not the type

of person that they are looking and break of contact quickly.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

well maybe they have to pay for every call they make that gets answered so they are paying to call me and still not gaining anything.

while they are calling me they arnt calling someone else.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

They don't call individual numbers. They're on a system that automatically calls the next number, eg. they may call 97825431 this time, then it calls 97825432, then 33, etc.
Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

@tangledstitches wrote:
They don't call individual numbers. They're on a system that automatically calls the next number, eg. they may call 97825431 this time, then it calls 97825432, then 33, etc.

sure, but do they have to pay a charge every time a victim answers?

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply