The news today (murdoch lovers look away please...)

Radio news -

• most start the news with the governments backdown and 'compromise' statements
  • most follow up with commentary on the unpopularity of the budget.

The TV news breaks

• are talking about the same thing.

The internet news

• is also generally talking about the same thing.

SMH -

• front page on what all the other news stations are talking about - the 'compromises' that Pyne announced he would have to make.
  • Then the 'Nation' section had a budget analysis and relesaes from Parliament House.
  • A couple of blogs on same.
  • The 'News' section has a Frances Abbott story that responds to Abbotts comments this week.
  • 'News Review' has an excellent jounalistic article (neutral) on the the dregulation of uni fees.
  • Another article on the role of social activism in light of uni dereg.
  • It also has a neutral story on Hockey and his background.
  • Plus lost of commentary which is just personal opinion pieces which I won't include as relevent to journalistic standard.

The Telegraph -

• it takes them to page 14 to get to an article about why we should be paying more for petrol. Apparently, we consume a lot because our prices are so low. And when the prices go up (thank you Mr Abbott) we will all stop using our cars.
  • On page 34 and 35 there are 2 neutral blog pieces by Oakes and Hildebrand which have been edited so heavily that they weren't worth reading.
  • And on page 37 there is a HUGE article titled "Still the Lucky Country" wondering why we are whinging. Makes a great song and dance of the fact that the Deutche bank says we are the richest nation, per capita, in the world with 10% owning 50% of the nations wealth and reminding us that in some countries 10% own 86% of the nations wealth. As if that makes it all OK.

How can there be NOTHING of the public mood for a newspaper that is meant to be the working mans paper?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

i think this sums it up pretty well...

http://www.independentaustralia.net/business/business-display/murdoch-and-corruption,6511

I DO NOT THINK all Australians have quite grasped the dangers of the money-losing, tax-evading, propaganda-feeding newspapers that Rupert Murdoch uses to blanket almost every corner of our country.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

How can there be NOTHING of the public mood for a newspaper that is meant to be the working mans paper?

My answer:

Abbott, Daily Telegraph editors.jpg

Abbott  & The Daily Telegraph editors

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Because not everyone has the same public mood.... I speak to the public every day... very few have had a negative thing to say about this budget... even the old pensioners I see at work don't think it is that bad... even my mum and step dad that live on a pension and have a few medical concerns that means they will be paying the $7 don't think it is a major problem... 

there are a few things they want to change but overall these people are ok with it 

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

@catsnknots wrote:

Because not everyone has the same public mood.... I speak to the public every day... very few have had a negative thing to say about this budget... even the old pensioners I see at work don't think it is that bad... even my mum and step dad that live on a pension and have a few medical concerns that means they will be paying the $7 don't think it is a major problem... 

there are a few things they want to change but overall these people are ok with it 

Well I beg to differ. In the retirement community where my mother live a large proportion feel that it's a terrible budget. Even those who are not directly affected, have family who will be. They are especially up in arms about the $7 fee for visiting their doctors, for having blood tests done, and for any radiology work needed. Some of them don't visit doctors more than 10 times a year so will not get 'free' visits.

Many are long term Liberal supporters who vow if Tony Abbott is up for election again, that they will not be voting for Liberal. Also if Joe Hockey is hanging around hoping to be treasurer they will definitely avoid voting for the Libs.

Gwen from next door, at 84 years young, is especially upset and worried for her great grandchildren who are hoping to go to university in the next year or two. Their own parents are not well off financially. She also worries about the ones who will be looking for work in the years to come. Plus her own financial position isn't the best, she owns her own small home but otherwise lives from pension to pension.

So while some of the people you talk to are happy about the budget, there are a vast majority who are not, and this is evident when you hear people talking on the street.

photo GRUMPYCATSIGN_zpsa8f18bba.jpg
Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

@catsnknots wrote:

I purposely introduced a wide range of media in my post in order to explain how EXTENSIVE the coverage is of the public mood. I am not just referring to a left winged journal.

And if your lot are happy with the budget, then I suggest that they are highly uniformed indiduals who probably ONLY read The Telegraph.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

In a workshop I attended this week of 20 people, there were a number who had been LNP voters who said they were "shocked" at what had come out of the budget. One told us he was more angry at the way the LNP had, he believed, turned on their own supporters. Said there was no way he would vote LNP in future and a few of the other LNP voters agreed. The common theme was that "no-one expected this". In our industry there will be huge cuts and these people are extremely frustrated that it is going to affect the industry overall. They are saying it just doesn't make any sense to discourage people. 

I also work with a few younger people and they are very vocal in their displeasure of what has come about. They talk of their friends who are also dissatisfied. It was interesting that one of them said they had been thinking of going back to uni, but was now reconsider ing it. She mentioned she was concerned about what would happen if she went for a home loan down the track with a huge uni debt and what would happen to her debt when she took time off to have kids. It would affect her for the rest of her life. Interesting how they are thinking it through. 

So I guess it depends who you talk you. 

Photobucket

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

....and they (any aged pensioners who are OK with the budget)  have yet to realise how they are going to be affected.

Things like the removal of concessions for aged pensioners didn't make the big announcements ( no longer discount for electricity, phone, travel) Removal of aged pension supplement.

Do the elderly realise they have to pay $7 for each Dr's visit plus $7 for each associated service as well.

Do they realise their pension is not going to be linked to the average male wage anymore.. which could cause it to be reduced in the future?

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

She mentioned she was concerned about what would happen if she went for a home loan down the track with a huge uni debt and what would happen to her debt when she took time off to have kids.

If her partner also has a student loan, that too would be taken into account when applying for a mortgage. Student loans have a negative effect on further borrowing.

Time off work, looking after your own children.. the debt keeps growing at around 6% pa. (interest rate in Budget changes).

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Most I have spoken to are ANGRY with this govt for having LIED......not happy a happy voter Land out there

Less respect for politicians as ever before.....and most concerned about what a lying bunch of pollies will do next..

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply