This might be helpful

martinw-48
Community Member
But it seems that the biggest problem with domestic violence is that the Police just don't do their job

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-29/hannah-clarke-murder-prompts-nsw-mp-coercive-control-power-la...
Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

This might be helpful

I don't agree that the police don't do their job.  They are terribly under resourced, and their job is not clearly defined,   as evidenced in that article.  This plan though is very encouraging.  .

Only I suspect that no matter what laws were in place it would not have stopped people like Mr. Baxter doing what he did.  In  that instance he was a law unto himself. 

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

This might be helpful

@bright.ton42 wrote:

I don't agree that the police don't do their job.  They are terribly under resourced, and their job is not clearly defined,   as evidenced in that article.  This plan though is very encouraging.  .

Only I suspect that no matter what laws were in place it would not have stopped people like Mr. Baxter doing what he did.  In  that instance he was a law unto himself. 

Yep.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

This might be helpful

@martinw-48 wrote:
But it seems that the biggest problem with domestic violence is that the Police just don't do their job

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-29/hannah-clarke-murder-prompts-nsw-mp-coercive-control-power-la...

Get real.

How much d'you think Police can get involved in domestic affairs when there are so many other issues they have to pursue?

Unfortunately they can only get involved when a crime has actually been perpetrated.

They can't do preventative.

That's up to the social workers and  the various agencies that deal with such matters.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

This might be helpful

Although it was many years ago I was the victim of "Domestic Violence" I was made to feel the instigator.  Not prepared to go into details but at the time the Police could not hve done enough for me within their scope of support.  My ex was charged and convicted but it cost me a lot for legal help and lost revenue.  The court found that I should not have left him yada yada yada.  As I worked and he wouldn't he gor legal aide and I paid top dollar.  My suggestion is do not comment unless you know both sides of the story.

Agreed that this was tragic to say the least you never will the know the Fuil Story.  My heart breaks for those children but don't blame the Police.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

This might be helpful

Unfortunately the police and the law have limitations.

They have to wait until a crime is committed - they can't lock someone up "just in case".

AVOs have their limitations too. They do work in many cases, but if someone isn't scared of gaol or other consequences they won't take any notice.

If someone is determined to hurt someone else, they will do so.

One improvement would be harsher penalties for breaking an AVO. At the moment, if the breach doesn't result in physical harm there is generally only a slap on the wrist.

Physical harm is only one small part of domestic violence, when I was mentally and emotionally abused I wished he would hit me so I could have him charged.

It's a very large and complicated issue, and anyone - man, woman or child - can be a victim at some time in their lives.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

This might be helpful

martinw-48
Community Member
To all responders.
I might be remembering this wrong but I recall reading that the Police had watered down the DVO from Baxter having to stay 100 metres away to 20 metres away and when her parents had called the police to inform them that he'd been hanging around outside the house they didn't do anything about it.
Also years ago the Queensland police were in trouble for not doing anything when a woman went to them for help with her violent partner who then drove here off the road and bashed her to death on her way home after just being at the Police station to report his constant stalking
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

This might be helpful

police are hamstrung with what they can do

as is shown so often in domestic disputes one or both parties often lie about events 'to get their way'

without firm evidence they cant just lock everyone up

its all the false reports that have messed it up for the real DV sufferers.

in the case of the mother and her 3 kids its pretty obvious authorities got it so very wrong.

but do you go the other way and treat every report of DV as real until proven false?

lock up the bad party?

i'm so glad i will never be involved in deciding such things,

or be in a situation where i'm acused of DV or commit it.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

This might be helpful

Police praise 14-year-old boy who stopped alleged domestic violence attack in Sydney

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-29/police-praise-boy-who-stopped-alleged-dv-attack/12013798

perhaps its up to us all to do our bit

see something do something

not partucularly getting involved but at least calling for help and let it be known you are a witness

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

This might be helpful

martinw-48
Community Member
David, it didn't work out so good for the Dutch tourist that was stabbed to death by a bikie when he tried to stop him assualting his girlfriend in Melbourne some time back
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply