This or that

Okay.

I'm assuming it is okay to post about the different names of everyday things. 

I couldn't remember what the Australians call a valance. It's a pelmet. I just learned that one last year. 

What else? 

Trunk-boot

cilantro-coriander

Pullover sweater- jumper? 

undershirt-vest? 

cookie-bikkie?

Do you call potato chips-crisps? 

We call rubber sandals-thongs in California. lol. Weirdly enough, we  call those string undies, thongs, too. It can get confusing. 

I once told a Scottish friend that she could borrow my thongs, if she wanted to go to the pool. She gave me a look of horror. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
no siggy
Message 1 of 238
Latest reply
237 REPLIES 237

This or that

Youcan I am in the Bay of Plenty, dont get much earth shaking here, we do have White Island about 50k off the coast.

I know the South Island has had a few minor Quakes recently.

I  always keep a eye on the quakes

https://www.facebook.com/geonetnz

Message 211 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

thanks lion for that- my partner is going to be in 'scape 8' in Christchurch later this year- do you know it?

Bay of Plenty, huh? so jealous...Woman Happy lucky you

Message 212 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

Have read through this thread with much amusement, as my girlfriend and I have discussions about this sort of thing all the time (she is an Aussie, I'm English).

Capsicum is our most argued term.  It's called pepper in the UK. My GF points out that there are many types of pepper other than the vegetable so there is a need to differentiate. That's why they are red, green, yellow etc is my response.

The other one I have never understood is 'manchester.' I know what the term means, I assume it's called that because the town of Manchester was the birthplace of the textile industry? 

There are many others but those two spring to mind!

Message 213 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

Hi Marti---welcome to the threads.

Aussie beer....cold

Pommie beer ..warm....................................Richo.

Message 214 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

Capsicum=pimiento.
Message 215 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

My daughter did a year at the Academy of Art in San Francisco, lived with a relative just north of Golden Gate Park .  A treasure for photographers...........the kid has albums full of street people images.  I was fortunate enough to attend Radarman class 'A' school at Treasure Island during the "Summer of Love". 1967. Saw all the psychedelic bands at the Winter Garden, Fillmore, and Avalon Ballroom.

TCM.......the first In-N-Out in Oregon opens here in Medford in the Fall.........FWIW, I love ketchup on my hot dogs, pickles on my burgers, sauerkraut and sweet hot mustard on my sausage dogs.  I make a number of dishes utilizing ground turkey, including a "Border Bake" casserole using turkey chili, southwestern veggies, and topped with cornbread.

goldengatei.jpg

Message 216 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

I think I asked this a long time ago, do people in Perth have a different accent, and use different phrases, than people from Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide etc. Do they eat foods that are more common to their area? 

Not sure about the accent, but we do have some different words over here in the Wild West

We say polony for a processed meat that Sydneysiders call Devon

We say bathers where they say togs.

We also use some local Aboriginal words:

Boondi = a clump of dried sand, like a soft stone,  that you chuck at someone.

Wongi: as in to have a wongi = to have a chat.

Honkey nut = gumnut.

We even have one expression which I believe is unique to my home town of Bunbury: to have a ginder. It means to get a very short haircut, and is said to hark back many generations to a man named Alf Ginder who had very little, or no hair.

Message 217 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

Hi TGSE--as you know i lived in WA (sorry i ever left) for my first 17 years-

rest of the time til 68 in Victoria.

Just had a quick think-some have been mentioned before.

Railway station.....train station.

Marron.....yabbi.

Double gee----prickle

Crewcut....no 1 2 3 etc

Schooner....pot.

will think of more later......had a seniors moment and forgot some others...............Richo.

Message 218 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

@serendipityricho wrote:

Hi TGSE--as you know i lived in WA (sorry i ever left) for my first 17 years-

rest of the time til 68 in Victoria.

Just had a quick think-some have been mentioned before.

Railway station.....train station.

Marron.....yabbi.

Double gee----prickle

Crewcut....no 1 2 3 etc

Schooner....pot.

will think of more later......had a seniors moment and forgot some others...............Richo.

Are what the t'othersiders call yabbies really marron or gilgies?

Message 219 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

From memory-more like the gilgies.

Been a long time...............................................Richo.

ps-had trouble trying to explain what ..a double gee-looks like

to the locals here-never heard of them before.

Message 220 of 238
Latest reply