This or that

Okay.

I'm assuming it is okay to post about the different names of everyday things. 

I couldn't remember what the Australians call a valance. It's a pelmet. I just learned that one last year. 

What else? 

Trunk-boot

cilantro-coriander

Pullover sweater- jumper? 

undershirt-vest? 

cookie-bikkie?

Do you call potato chips-crisps? 

We call rubber sandals-thongs in California. lol. Weirdly enough, we  call those string undies, thongs, too. It can get confusing. 

I once told a Scottish friend that she could borrow my thongs, if she wanted to go to the pool. She gave me a look of horror. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
no siggy
Message 1 of 238
Latest reply
237 REPLIES 237

This or that

@serendipityricho wrote:

Hi Glee-think the bindi is softer than a double gee and has multiple small thorn spikes.

Both are a menace with bare feet.

Cant post links--but look a double gee on the net.

Never seen one in Victoria--very common in WA-mainly near the coast.................Richo.

big meanies, in other words.   Ouch, my feet have gone into hiding at the thought of them.

Message 231 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

@serendipityricho wrote:

Hi TCM.

Double.gees are a 3 hard pointed thorn that lay on the ground.

In bare feet they are a menace for kids in WA.

2 of the point get you every time-hence the name.

They can even puncture.......treadlie..pushbike..rollscanhardly... cycle tyres.

Check out the double gees on the net....................................................................Richo.

They call them three corner jacks in SA,(which seem the same but grow on a different leaved plant):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emex_australis

They are also in the top of VIC now,(Roundup or Glyphosate kills the plant but it's generally best to remove

the whole plant intact so that you get the "jacks")

Message 232 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

I live in front of a small park. My kids used to get flat tires on their bikes from those things. I don't know what they are called in the U.S.... other than a royal pain in the you-know-whatie. 

Gwennie occasionally gets one stuck in her paw, on our daily walk. She doesn't cry or complain. She simply sits down, and holds her paw up. I pick her up, remove it, and on we go. 

no siggy
Message 233 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

Gwennies one clever pup! she has you well trained lol

tcm, I asked a Q here (post 65) re the names of school years in the US..maybe you didnt see it- I would still find it interesting to know them..Woman Happy

Message 234 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

Oh, I'm sorry.. I did see it, then I promptly forgot. 

Most kids, but not all...

We have what is called pre-school(or nursery school) for toddlers. Those are not free, and are optional. Kids can go there from the ages of 3 and 4. These are not day-care facilities. These are schools for kids to learn basics, like tying their shoes, colors, etc. 

When they are about 5, they start Kindergarten.Most K classes are half day, but are located at the "real" Elementary(or primary school). K-12 is free, unless the parents send the kids to private school. 

After Kindergarten, the kids remain in elementary school for grades 1-5. Some elementary schools have optional 6th grade too. They attend school from about 8 am until 3 ish. 

Jr. High is next. 6 through 8, and sometimes 9th. (Some Jr. highs are 7-9).

Some High schools start at 9th grade, and others start at 10th grade. In any event, we graduate from High school after completing 12th grade, around the age of 17 or 18. 

Some private schools go from grade K-8. Then advance their students into high school for 9-12. 

9th-Freshman

10-Sophomore

11-Junior

12-Senior. 

Some kids can graduate early by going to a JR. College, but that is not common. 

Are your Universities expensive? The cost is outrageous in the U.S.

I read that higher education is free in Germany. 

no siggy
Message 235 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

I forgot to add... most kids have one teacher for each grade in Elementary school. 

When they start Jr. High, they move around the school for each subject. They do the same in High school. Some classes are required to graduate, and other classes are hand picked by the kids. If someone is good at math, they can take higher math classes. If they hate math, they only have to take the basic required math classes. 

Everyone has to take science, history, government, math. 

no siggy
Message 236 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

I have a question about school uniforms. 

Most public schools (in my State) don't have uniforms. The kids can wear just about anything that they want to wear. Most schools do have a few basic rules to follow. Private schools are a different story. They wear uniforms in most private (paid) schools. 

Do the kids in Australia wear uniforms to school? The reason I ask is because I saw many kids out of field trips when I was there the first time, and those kids were all in uniforms. My husbands twin g'daughters also wear uniforms to school -in Adelaide. 

no siggy
Message 237 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

Hi TCM--most schools here have strict uniform rules.

Some of the teachers look like they are going to the beach

after school hours and come to work already dressed for it...................................Richo.

Message 238 of 238
Latest reply