Toronto High School principal's reaction 'over the top', say angry parents

Parents of students suspended from a high school near Newcastle for cyber-bullying have taken to social media to accuse the principal of an "over-the-top" reaction.

Nicole Charlesworth and her son Nick, who is a student at Toronto High School.Nicole Charlesworth and her son Nick, who is a student at Toronto High School. Photo: Jonathan Carroll

More than 50 students from Toronto High School, in Lake Macquarie, were suspended for their involvement in a game that involved posting "negative, abusive [and] harassing comments" about other students on social media.

In a letter to parents on Friday, the school's principal Mark McConville wrote that students involved, including those who had "liked" negative comments about other students, had been suspended.

"Imagine if it was your child who opened up their Facebook account to find over 50 'likes' about a negative/abusive/harassing post about them," he wrote.

The response to the mass suspensions on social media has been mostly positive, but some parents said the school had overreacted.

More than 50 students from Toronto High School, in Lake Macquarie, were suspended for their involvement in a game that involved posting "negative, abusive [and] harassing comments" about other students on social media.

In a letter to parents on Friday, the school's principal Mark McConville wrote that students involved, including those who had "liked" negative comments about other students, had been suspended.

"Imagine if it was your child who opened up their Facebook account to find over 50 'likes' about a negative/abusive/harassing post about them," he wrote.

The response to the mass suspensions on social media has been mostly positive, but some parents said the school had overreacted.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Do you think he over re-acted or not ?

IMO he didn't.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

More power to the principal! The kids needed to learn the consequences of their actions. ... that they can't bully others and get away with it. I hope it teaches them a lesson or two.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Same, good on him.

image host
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

I think that the little bleeps got what they deserved.  I am sure that the parents who think it is over the top would be the 1st to scream if it was their child on the receiving side.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: โ€œThose Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocitiesโ€ .
Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

But is suspension the best way to do it?  I know teacher's and principals hands are tied when it comes to forms of punishment but I think they could be a little more inventive than just suspending kids.

Why not make these particular kids attend some form of detention designed to explain/show the little shirts why the cyber bullying they carried out is wrong, get a trained educator in to talk to them (and their parents).  I really don't think most kids have any idea just how harmful and dangerous cyber bullying is and I think it is vital to take the opportunity to teach them.

For most kids suspension is just a holiday from school - and unfortunately is worn as a badge of honour!

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

I am sure  the incident will be discussed, but all the other measures, like trained educators cost money.  The school has budget and may not have money to pay teachers overtime to look after the kids in detention.  Not to mention that there has been so much talk about cyber bullying that you'd have to wonder what were they thinking about coming up with such a "game".

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: โ€œThose Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocitiesโ€ .
Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Some schools are starting to do suspension "in house" were the students still need to attend school but aren't in class with their mates.
Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

One of the punished student's mother:

"I would prefer to see the school bring in an anti-bullying expert to talk to all the kids ... My daughter is very angry about it. She thinks it is unfair."

Maybe the school should ask the offending students' parents to chip in to bring somebody in.  But you know what?  Life is not fair, and sooner kids learn that, and sooner they learn that every action is likely to have consequences the better.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

fo-trut
Community Member

Do you think he over re-acted or not ?

I didn't see the comments.

But it seems to me this shouldn't be a school issue. Think about it, here in this forum, or on Facebook, or anywhere else, wouldn't you take it up with the mods there or the admin, or whoever oversees that format? I can see if this is taking place in the classroom and disrupting class. In such a case, it would be that disruption the offical reason for the suspention/s. Another reason it would be a tuff call for me is well, I'm a firm believer in personal freedom and natural rights, one of those being the right to speech. This kinda thing could easally get out of hand. People getting upset over silly things, Here's one such example.

College Students 'Literally Traumatized' by Trump 2016 Chalking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHdNyKTiwYA

TRIGGER WARNING!!! The words "Trump 2016" written in chalk on the sidewalk appear in this video. If it literally causes you physical pain and trauma to see this phrase written on a sidewalk in chalk, you may want to avert your eyes lest this "microaggression" makes you cry and/or feel oppressed.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply