Toyota is on the way out of manufacturing in Aus

and this is a comment I just read about the situation.  I deleted the name to save him/her from embarrassment.

"This isn't abbots fault. Whoever started importing into country , I think it was Gillard there the ones to blame. When did KIA and great Wall come to this country? There been here a while."

Are some people really so stupid?

Message 1 of 57
Latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

@freakiness wrote:

The plan was to build the Camry here for the domestic and export market.  It is absolutely inefficient to build a small number each of a variety of models.  Hence the decision to focus on making one model. 

Exactly, particularly when competing with the megaplants that can produce close to a million standardised cars a year for their entire world market.

Yes, I have an opinion. No you don't have to agree with it. Yes I do have a right to it.
Message 41 of 57
Latest reply

Yes, that was the plan, but clearly they were unable to secure the contract.

So tell me, why wouldn't we build a car that was in greater demand?

Like a smaller car, such as the Corolla or the model below that?

Why was Australia left with the model that other countries didn't want to produce at a reasonabl;e price?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 42 of 57
Latest reply

@carls*world wrote:

@freakiness wrote:

The plan was to build the Camry here for the domestic and export market.  It is absolutely inefficient to build a small number each of a variety of models.  Hence the decision to focus on making one model. 

Exactly, particularly when competing with the megaplants that can produce close to a million standardised cars a year for their entire world market.

Yep, The new Altona plant features on Mega Factories 

Message 43 of 57
Latest reply

so if toyota really wanted to manufacture in Australia (or any of the other car companies), why not just build the smaller model cars here, after all, they're what's in demand and what Australian's want.

And as for export LOLOL, our export market on cars is one of our lower sources of revenue... the export of one model of car is not going to add much to the coffers.

Message 44 of 57
Latest reply

@crikey*mate wrote:

so if toyota really wanted to manufacture in Australia (or any of the other car companies), why not just build the smaller model cars here, after all, they're what's in demand and what Australian's want.

And as for export LOLOL, our export market on cars is one of our lower sources of revenue... the export of one model of car is not going to add much to the coffers.

They export more than half the vehicles they build.

And no, not everyone wants a small car.  

Message 45 of 57
Latest reply

Well then, they need to build more, cos the few that they do build, barely make a dent on the Australian Economy. In domestic or export markets.

I wonder why they don't build more?

Oh wait. No I don't.

I know that.

Cos people don't want to buy them.

Don't ya think that if people wanted to buy them they'd build more?

Besides, you didn't answer my question, why not?

Message 46 of 57
Latest reply

hey freaki, do you own a Camry?

Message 47 of 57
Latest reply

I bought an Australian made Camry a few years ago.

Wanted to get something built here. Already had a small car. Needed something to replace the 25 year old Toyota built in Japan.

It just never gave up, that car 🙂

Due to circumstances, the Camry has very few kms...might be a museum piece, poor thing 😞

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 48 of 57
Latest reply

i do have to say, I loved every toyota I ever had.

My first car was a Toyota Corolla CSX - Red of course, Gosh I loved that car.

Bought it second hand, 6 months old from an old lady who never drove it - had 600klm on the clock. Paid $13,000 for it back in 1987.

The only time the Mighty Toy ever stopped was when I smashed it!

*blush*

I even riolled that car, and walked away unharmed, caught a taxi straight to work.

When I went to trade it in, the car man laughed and said (jokingly) he wasn't sure how to price it cos it might have been an '86 model, but every panel on it was an '89 hahaha

Message 49 of 57
Latest reply

traded the first Mighty Toy in on a new corolla, but think it was an 89? whatever the new bigger and new shape came in.

then I got a mazda when the MX5s first came out - well, toyoya made theiors with rooves!

Got a camry when the kiddies started comiong along

two camry sedans before a little station wagon, it was a corker a Camry executive, I think? Dunno, like the Tupperware Ladies used to drive around in.

Traded it in on a Misubishi wagon for the OH - now that was a good car, well till 5 years ago when a blown head gasket ended up costing $8,000 NEVER take your car to the dealer - and that was a Toyota dealer that did that! grrrrr BTW

that lasted 12 more months, then it broke again, and as soon as the Toyota man said "it might be".... I just said trash it. Not interested.

Needed a new car instantly - took the first thing available - little Hyundia Getz - it was a corker! Loved it so much, gave the OH the Camry and I took the Hyundai. Still going strong, the Crikey Kinder are now using it to learn how to drive. It's a great little car though, for $13,000 it's got more bells and whisltles than the Camry has. but shoulda got the one with the bigger engine, if ya have all 3 kids in the car, she's a bit sluggish getting up some of the hills around here LOLOLOL, but for zipping around town, or letting the kids learn to drive, she's a ripper! costs SFA to run and service, can park her anywhere, tight turning circle - good for UTurns...

Got a new car for me though now - red one - it goes faster - specially with the roof down - hahahaha

not enough bang for buck in a camry though. thought about one, but - maybe next car.

Message 50 of 57
Latest reply