Two Bluey episodes pulled by ABC

Fans and families have been left shocked after the ABC pulled two episodes of beloved cartoon Bluey, due to “racist” connotations.

As families around the world get more and more hooked on Bluey, they’re also adding new and unlikely words to their vocabulary.

“Cheese and Crackers …”

“For real life …”

“100 dollar bucks …”

If these words sound at all familiar to you and your little ones, you’ve definitely watched your fair share of the popular ABC series.

All are very innocent when used in everyday conversations.

But there is one word used on the show and copied by diehard fans that has been deemed “racist”, resulting in the mysterious disappearance of two episodes using the word.

The word used in the episode, as well as another, is “ooga booga” and as a result of the complaints, TV bosses have decided to rework two episodes.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/two-bluey-episodes-pulled-by-abc-over-racist-connotations/n...

I wonder what the other one was?

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

The "another" they're talking about is another episode in which the same expression was used, not another word or expression.

Message 2 of 34
Latest reply

Ok thanks 😊
Message 3 of 34
Latest reply

I've never heard that expression. It sounds like something being pulled from the nose lol

Message 4 of 34
Latest reply

I thought it was a slang term for sex 

Message 5 of 34
Latest reply

@sandypebbles wrote:

I thought it was a slang term for sex 

Hahaha 😂

Message 6 of 34
Latest reply

Soon you won't be able to laugh at yourself as it might offend someone.

Message 7 of 34
Latest reply

It's getting ridiculous. 

Message 8 of 34
Latest reply

I have heard of ooga booga but can't say i know what it means. I just thought it meant wow or something like that.

How is it racist?

Message 9 of 34
Latest reply

The Macquarie Dictionary defines "ooga booga" as a derogatory noun, meaning: "A stereotypical rendering of what the speaker regards to be the language of those deemed by them to be African savages."

I wonder if they would pull all of the old Tarzan movies because he frequently said "ungawa". While the producers claimed the word was made up and could be used to mean anything, it also means:

THE WORD "UNGAWA" USED IN CHILDREN'S BLACK POWER/ PUERTO RICAN POWER RHYMES

"Most of the examples of the children's rhyme which I've titled "Ah Beep Beep" (based on their first line) and other children's rhymes and chants that include the word "ungawa" not only express Black pride, but also appear to express antagonism toward White people.

pancocojams

(Pancocojams showcases the music, dances, language practices, & customs of African Americans and of other people of Black descent throughout the world).

Message 10 of 34
Latest reply