UK Government Should Pay Compensation For Child Abuse

Thousands of British people who as children were forcibly sent abroad, where many suffered abuse, should be compensated, an inquiry says.

They were sent to Australia and parts of the British Empire from 1945-1970 by charities and the Catholic church.

The Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (IICSA) said the government should pay all 2,000 former migrants still alive within 12 months.

The Australian and UK governments apologised in 2009 and 2010.

About 4,000 children, mainly from deprived backgrounds, were sent to Australia, New Zealand, Canada and Southern Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe, between 1945 and 1970, to give them better lives and strengthen the British population abroad.

The inquiry heard from various former migrants who claimed they and others suffered sexual and physical abuse at the hands of those running the schools and orphanages they were sent to.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43242786

Another instance of a stolen generation...

The Brits loved cheap labour (slavery), white or black, didn't matter.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

it happened in many countries and the countries that did it bloomin well should be paying compensation!

the whole 'here we are discovering a new land then killing off or making slaves of the native population went on world wide. mostly by brits but other european nations did it too, spanish & french come to mind.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Portuguese,Dutch,Belgian,Soufh African etc. Slavery still exists of course. Why do you think you can buy a shirt for $12 at Target?
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I think it's a complicated situation.

The standards of the past aren't the standards of today. However, sexual abuse has never been okay.

The question of physical abuse has varied though, in that straps and such were quite common 50 years ago. Severe bashing though is again a whole different thing.

I tend to think compensation should be paid to those who were abused, but not all of those 4000 children will have suffered abuse (I hope).

I think you have to be very careful calling this a stolen generation. I've been on Ancestry a few years & also on an English messageboard. The fact is, a lot of families popped their children into homes as a choice. The children weren't taken from them-the parents placed their children into homes.

I had terrible trouble tracing my maternal grandfather's background, searched for decades. The secret was finally unlocked for me in 2012. My grandfather was placed in a home for waifs & fatherless boys, probably at the age of about 12. None of his other siblings, older or younger were, so I suspect a clash with his new stepdad. They were a poorer family & child  number10 was arriving.

One of his cousins (an illegitimate son) was also placed in a home & sent to Canada as a home child. He lived with his mother for several years till she married, then was placed in the home.

I've been in contact with English descendants of this family & the tradition continued. My second cousin's father was also put in a home at one stage & that would have been a good 25 or 30 years later and so were some other cousins placed in homes for a while.

What English boardies have told me is times were tough, we have no idea, & many families did this.

So much so, that homes in Britain were crowded and some had a tradition that once children reached 14, they could no longer stay at the home, they were expected to get work & be independent. Hard for us to imagine now, I know. But many were sent overseas in the hope it would give them a better chance in life.

I'm not supporting the actions, don't get me wrong. But I'm a bit wary of calling them all a stolen generation. My grandfather changed his surname, had no contact with his family, my mother sensed he was bitter or had had a fight with them. She had no idea he had ever been in a home. But I suspect he blamed his family, not the government. Of course his case was much earlier than 1945 but the years leading up to 1945 would have been tough ones, with a World depression & war, and the mental attitude back in those times seems to have been that a home was a good option.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

@davidc4430wrote:

it happened in many countries and the countries that did it bloomin well should be paying compensation!

the whole 'here we are discovering a new land then killing off or making slaves of the native population went on world wide. mostly by brits but other european nations did it too, spanish & french come to mind.

Yes that's true, too,

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

@springyzonewrote:

I think it's a complicated situation.

The standards of the past aren't the standards of today. However, sexual abuse has never been okay.

The question of physical abuse has varied though, in that straps and such were quite common 50 years ago. Severe bashing though is again a whole different thing.

I tend to think compensation should be paid to those who were abused, but not all of those 4000 children will have suffered abuse (I hope).

I think you have to be very careful calling this a stolen generation. I've been on Ancestry a few years & also on an English messageboard. The fact is, a lot of families popped their children into homes as a choice. The children weren't taken from them-the parents placed their children into homes.

I had terrible trouble tracing my maternal grandfather's background, searched for decades. The secret was finally unlocked for me in 2012. My grandfather was placed in a home for waifs & fatherless boys, probably at the age of about 12. None of his other siblings, older or younger were, so I suspect a clash with his new stepdad. They were a poorer family & child  number10 was arriving.

One of his cousins (an illegitimate son) was also placed in a home & sent to Canada as a home child. He lived with his mother for several years till she married, then was placed in the home.

I've been in contact with English descendants of this family & the tradition continued. My second cousin's father was also put in a home at one stage & that would have been a good 25 or 30 years later and so were some other cousins placed in homes for a while.

What English boardies have told me is times were tough, we have no idea, & many families did this.

So much so, that homes in Britain were crowded and some had a tradition that once children reached 14, they could no longer stay at the home, they were expected to get work & be independent. Hard for us to imagine now, I know. But many were sent overseas in the hope it would give them a better chance in life.

I'm not supporting the actions, don't get me wrong. But I'm a bit wary of calling them all a stolen generation. My grandfather changed his surname, had no contact with his family, my mother sensed he was bitter or had had a fight with them. She had no idea he had ever been in a home. But I suspect he blamed his family, not the government. Of course his case was much earlier than 1945 but the years leading up to 1945 would have been tough ones, with a World depression & war, and the mental attitude back in those times seems to have been that a home was a good option.

you make a lot of good points in your post

my view is that even 'way back when' those in power knew things they were doing were 'not ok' but did them anyway.

the saying goes i think

'power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutly'

meaning they had no fear in committing what would be considered crimes today because there was no one to hold them accountable.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

@springyzonewrote:

"The fact is, a lot of families popped their children into homes as a choice. The children weren't taken from them-the parents placed their children into homes."

Also true. Large families were just to poor to be able to support their children and gave them into care. Many single mothers or widows who had no means of support had no choice but to surrender their children until they could find a way to support themselves. Or not.

Charities such as those that sent those poor kiddies overseas really saw that as another opportunity to settle a new country with young, cheap labour.

Having said that, I'm sure many Charities meant well and saw this as a way of giving these children a fair start to a good life in a new land. It was a matter of what sort of ppl were chosen to look after these children in the new land. Probably misfits themselves who were banished for some sort of misdemeanour and took it out on the children.

I also think the issue of the Aboriginal stolen generation was to remove those children of mixed white and black parentage in order to also give them a fair start in the world of their white parent.

The way it's being presented in today's media is that all Aboriginal, full-blooded or otherwise, children were being torn brutally from their loving mother's arms in order to serve the Whitey invader.

Also, all this happened while Australia was still under British rule.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

@davidc4430wrote:

@springyzone

you make a lot of good points in your post

my view is that even 'way back when' those in power knew things they were doing were 'not ok' but did them anyway.

the saying goes i think

'power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutly'

meaning they had no fear in committing what would be considered crimes today because there was no one to hold them accountable.

I'm sure you're absolutely right. Not just about this but about a lot of abuse situations we read about from the past.

That would include a lot of sexual abuse in the past where I am sure the perpetrators just used their position & power to do what they liked, thinking there would be no repurcussions. And they were usually right.

I'm sure it was a mind set amongst some. We've seen a lot of sexual abuse charges against some in the entertainment industry. I'm sure they had a sense of 'entitlement'.

And some of the early settlers would shoot an aboriginal but not a white person as there were criminal charges to be faced if you attacked a white person. Again,  a mind set that one group was somehow better or more entitled than another.

I think the grinding poverty in some parts of England back in the first half of the 20th century is definitely what led some families to put their children in homes. But I also think social attitudes must have played a big part too. I think about that woman, one of my distant ancestors, who placed her illegitimate son (my grandfather's cousin) in a home only when she married, some years after his birth. The only reason i can think of for that is the new husband was not willing to take him on. These days we would tell such a man to get lost, it's hard to know why she didn't but I'm presuming life was so hard it came down to long term survival.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply