Vexed Vax Jabs Charted over Time in Database: Don't be k1oooless!

I was going to title this topic COVID vaccination rates and opening up at 80% (by the numbers) . . . but went with the one suggested by countess on another thread.

Please note that I am not starting this thread for the discussion of COVID vaccination, making vaccination mandatory or the pros/cons of vaccination.

This thread is also not for posting about 'early stage treatments' for COVID.  I may well report any such posts for being off-topic if they are made.

I won't be posting arguments for or against vaccination, just the numbers and percentages that will drive the easing of restrictions.

The intention of this thread is to provide an analysis of the figures that I haven't been able to find elsewhere.  It is for me to post screengrabs of an Excel spreadsheet that shows the double dose percentages that will become crucial in opening up the country.

I will prepare a spoiler so that members can see how the spreadsheet numbers are calculated.   The spoiler will also note the source I use for spreadsheet preparation.

If anyone notices any errors in my calculations or screengrabs then please let me know.

Message 1 of 521
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I echo the “great thread” comment to k1ooo.

(I hope he doesn’t mind my continuing to use it; it’s no longer just vexed vax jabs. If a new thread would be better, I’ll stand by.)

View solution in original post

Message 149 of 521
Latest reply
520 REPLIES 520

Data for Tuesday 5th October (for population aged 16 and over)

39F546A1-CC5B-43E5-842A-A7AA39477B81.jpeg

What this spreadsheet shows is:

- even though NSW is running at 88.6% first vaccination, Australia without NSW is some 13 percentage points behind

- even though NSW is running at 67.6% double dose, Australia without NSW is some 15 percentage points behind

Spoiler

I use the "Charting the jab" ABC NEWS website for the numbers/percentages used in my spreadsheet preparation.  Regardless of any anti-ABC left-wing media sentiment anyone may have you can't fault the data they include on this site.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-02/charting-australias-covid-vaccine-rollout/13197518

Screenshot_20211006-020056_Samsung Internet.jpg

The website uses data for population aged 16 and over.  This is what the Doherty modelling uses.

This screengrab shows the spreadsheet and the side calculations.  I only post the section of the spreadsheet with cell borders as that is what is important.

28A1D4C7-6B6C-44DF-984D-00FA95E88789.jpeg

I use the vaccination percentages and raw numbers to recalculate population figures each day.  The relevant calculation is:

Polpulation = [Raw number X 100] / Percentage

Calculations for population in the spreadsheet:

- pop¹ is calculated from single dose data

- pop² is calculated from double dose data, and

- pop³ = average of pop¹ and pop²

The average is what appears in the screengrabs.

525F04D8-B9E4-48E0-BFFC-66BF8582731F.jpeg

Using the average of the two calculations is more valid than choosing just one of the others.  It does mean that my spreadsheet percentages may be slightly off the news site percentages . . . but within about 0.1 of 1%

The side calculations also act as a check for data entry errors as there is a calculation of [pop¹ - pop²] made.  Don't be put off by the population differences being in the '000s as averaging the two minimises any error.

E71FF9CD-D2D9-4BFB-B8E6-5A6575189F8B.jpeg

The calculated percentages in the spreadsheet that use my pop³ figure also act as a further checking mechanism because if they vary greatly from the reported percentages then I will have made a mistake when entering the data.

I will post a screengrab most nights to keep the information accurate.

Message 2 of 521
Latest reply

That represents some very careful work. I appreciate what you are doing and I hope it’s appreciated by everyone on these boards.

Just as a quick aside, I’ve necessarily become a bit of an Excel formula poobah. Some of the formulae I use are quite twisty and complicated.

One of the increasing issues we are seeing now with vaccination percentages by state is that the state may be treated as a uniform block, while of course it is anything BUT uniform. It’s full of wibbly-wobbly jabby-wabby inequalities. That would be a topic for another even more complicated spreadsheet – but this one is helpful in pointing out the obvious that is often ignored: that the huge push to get doses in arms in NSW (esp. Greater Sydney) has significantly lifted the national percentage. Thus it skews them and goes some way towards explaining individual state responses to the question of opening up.

Message 3 of 521
Latest reply

I've been following the stats for some time (since March last year).

Not so much on vaccination but more on numbers, but I was charting different countries as well.

For the last few months, the % rate for vaccinations has been showing and I have also started to record those.

A really good site is covidlive as you can look up the 1st and 2nd dose % rate for each state as well as for Aust overall. Plus it will show you the estimated date for reaching the milestones.

I am also a bit of a fan of bing covid tracker for charting US dose rates. They have been fairly stagnant for quite a while. I like to look at where Aust is in general too, with numbers. We've raced past quite a few countries in the last few weeks, unfortunately, but still not too bad in terms of actual numbers. I like to save screenshots. Not too sure what I am going to do with them all, mind you.😅

Message 4 of 521
Latest reply

the ‘Charting the jab’ ABC NEWS web page also shows projections for dates that states will reach the 70% and 80% vaccinations rates

555F959E-6344-4F0F-B77A-E9458E63F1A0.jpeg

Message 5 of 521
Latest reply

Just going to upload some I saw and we'll see how they compare as I can't remember the dates offhand. Mind you, I suppose they are all guesswork to some extent.

Oct 6 21 crop.png

Okay, that's saying Aust 70% second dose by 23 Oct. pretty much the same.

Vic.

Oct 6 21 vic crop.png

It is showing Vic as a couple of days behind to reach the 70% double dose milestone.

I'll include a 3rd screenshot which I thought was interesting but will make no other comment.

oct 6 21 vax and unvax stats.PNG

Message 6 of 521
Latest reply

CC782357-C173-459C-9FF4-0269A8F60B22.jpeg

- even though NSW is running at 89% first vaccination, Australia without NSW is some 13.5 percentage points behind

- even though NSW is running at 69% double dose, Australia without NSW is some 16 percentage points behind

Message 7 of 521
Latest reply

May I offer a site relating to Australian post jab statistics to supplement this informative post subject matter  

Our purpose | AusVaxSafety

Message 8 of 521
Latest reply

firstly, I made a mistake in yesterday’s post.  The correct information is:

even though NSW is running at 89% first vaccination, Australia without NSW is some 13.5  12.5 percentage points behind

786591F1-4060-4B88-985E-C650FA6B659E.jpeg

- even though NSW is running at 89.3% first vaccination, Australia without NSW is some 12.3 percentage points behind

- even though NSW is running at 70.3% double dose, Australia without NSW is some 16.2 percentage points behind

Message 9 of 521
Latest reply

CAE56481-BECA-48ED-854B-87B2E0B4DDB6.jpeg

- even though NSW is running at 89.8% first vaccination, Australia without NSW is some 12.2 percentage points behind

- even though NSW is running at 71.5% double dose, Australia without NSW is some 16.5 percentage points behind

**just as an aside, this ABC News story relates to the rates of vaccination across NSW now that NSW has passed the 70% double vaccination level.  They are forging ahead with their 70% easing plan even though much of the state is running below 70% double dose.  Some areas are as low as 30% - 40% despite the state having an above 70% vaccination rate.  The rates across Greater Sydney vary greatly as well.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-07/nsw-postcodes-left-behind-vaccination-targets/100514256

39EDB6E6-3A35-4181-BCEF-0AC8CFA7955F.jpeg 382986A9-6E9C-4E37-BA1C-98CD0278AF32.jpeg 

Message 10 of 521
Latest reply