WORDLE - anyone else trying the daily online word game?

I recently stumbled across WORDLE online.  For the uninitiated, it is a daily word guessing game where you have to try to guess the word in 6 or less tries.

https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/

This, from Wikipedia, explains the game:

Every day, a five-letter word is chosen which players aim to guess within six tries. After every guess, each letter is marked as either green, yellow or gray: green indicates that letter is correct and in the correct position, yellow means it is in the answer but not in the right position, while gray indicates it is not in the answer at all. The game has a "hard mode" option, which requires players to include letters marked as green and yellow in subsequent guesses. The daily word is the same for everyone. The game also has a dark mode as well as a high-contrast theme for colourblind accessibility, which changes the color scheme from green and yellow to orange and blue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wordle

This abc news story has some tips for playing:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-26/why-wordle-has-become-a-new-online-obsession/100782794

I have found that most that most days I can get the daily word in 5 tries or less (mostly 5 though).  Interestingly, there is a spinoff of WORDLE called LEWDLE, where the words are lewd, or naughty, words.  I have better success with LEWDLE than I do with WORDLE . . . getting the word in just 2 or 3 attempts.  Not sure what that says about my private school education 🤣

Message 1 of 5,021
Latest reply
5,020 REPLIES 5,020

@countessalmirena wrote:

Wordle 1,052 3/6

🟩🟩
🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

VAMPS was useful and lucky,

Ah, I will have to keep that one in mind for the future!
I think my eliminator was drape.

Today:

Wordle 1,053 5/6

🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

As you can see, I got off to a bit of a bad start. After my first turn, Bot tells me there were still over 300 words left.

The second turn helped but at turn 4, I felt I needed another eliminator as again, like yesterday, there were several possibilities.

Bot, you will be pleased to hear, was extremely happy with my eliminator.

Message 4921 of 5,021
Latest reply

Daily Octordle #834
🕛5️⃣
8️⃣7️⃣
🔟🕚
4️⃣6️⃣
Score: 63

This is a *great* disappointment to me.

I missed my chance.😕

After my second turn, I was sorely tempted to just go with my next eliminator but as we know, for a decent score, we have to start solving at turn 3, so I had a go at solving #2 instead, which didn't pay off.

Spoiler
Also note to self. It never seems to be power, it is always poker.

Message 4922 of 5,021
Latest reply

Yes… your usual starter is often very helpful, but for today’s Wordle it was intransigent. Mine was almost as disobliging.

Wordle 1,053 3/6

🟨
🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

However, with the help of PHONY, I narrowed it down a little. I almost used DOING but decided to get the Y in or out as a priority.

That gave me the shape, and two vowel options, and the possibility of a double or a liquid/non-liquid combination for the middle. Depending on my choices, that would dictate the possibilities for the initial letter. I used a word that would either be an eliminator or the answer.

Message 4923 of 5,021
Latest reply

Daily Octordle #834
7️⃣3️⃣
🔟6️⃣
8️⃣9️⃣
4️⃣5️⃣
Score: 52

I started with TRACE, which was quite a useful start this time. I followed with GLUON, and that gave me 1R straightaway. I could also solve 4L and 4R at that point.

2R - well, it couldn’t be anything else! (And it’s an Octordle frequent flyer as well.)

1L - it could have been ~ but I went with a gut feeling for the obvious alternative.

3L - again, there was an obvious and oft-used word there, and I played it. As a result of that, I knew that 3R could only be one thing as I’d ruled out all other final letters.

There was only 2L to solve; I had three letters (including the final two in green). From the remaining letters, there was only one strong possibility.

Message 4924 of 5,021
Latest reply

And yes, the strong answer is usually beaten by the implement!

Message 4925 of 5,021
Latest reply

New day…

Wordle 1,054 3/6

🟨🟨🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Thank goodness for SPOIL as the eliminator.

Message 4926 of 5,021
Latest reply

Back!

Wordle 1,055 5/6

🟨

🟨🟨

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Well, this one was solved not through any greens but by what couldn't be the answer.

Even after turn 3, I could think of about 5 possibilities so needed a good eliminator & luckily it wiped out all but one word, as far as I can tell.

Haven't looked at Bot's reaction yet>

Hmm. Luck marked as down to 29/100 today. I guess that's right. And I knew after turn 1 that there were at least a couple of hundred possible answers left.

Bot says after turn 2, 27 left.

Now, I totally disagree with Bot about my 4th word eliminator. 

Spoiler
By turn 4, I was facing the situation where I could think of merry, ferry, berry, derby, jerky.
I thought of bumpf as an eliminator but was surprised as it isn't recognised as a word by our Bot. But it allowed bumfs, which did the job for me.
Ah, all is revealed. Bot says I was lucky on turn 5 as he would have chosen every. I had not thought of that. I was fixated on having E in second spot.
Even so, I can't see  that berry in 4th spot would have wiped out enough. 
Message 4927 of 5,021
Latest reply

Daily Octordle #836
9️⃣8️⃣
2️⃣🔟
🕛7️⃣
6️⃣4️⃣
Score: 58

The score looks okay (for me.😂. For countess, this would be a devasting result.😅  All things are relative!)

But I felt as if I used eliminator after eliminator. I did solve a word on turn 2, because my first turn had exposed 4 letters of it. Mind you, it is a word that has been used before in the recent past, I think, which is why I thought of it.

But turns 5 & 11 were eliminators.

I really needed something at turn 11 to knock out some possibilities in #5.

Message 4928 of 5,021
Latest reply

Wordle 1,055 3/6

🟨🟨
🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

WORMY as my 2nd row eliminator… I then knew the shape. Based on past experience, I had a strong suspicion about the first letter. In spite of what the bot said, this wasn’t purely luck; it was gut instinct based on an  experience, Wordle experience.

springyzone, looking at your Wordle, I think you did as well as you could, given the starter I suspect you used. There’s always going to be an element of luck based on the starter chosen.

Message 4929 of 5,021
Latest reply

Daily Octordle #836
7️⃣🔟
6️⃣8️⃣
9️⃣3️⃣
4️⃣5️⃣
Score: 52

I couldn’t start solving until row 3; my starter wasn’t awful but I did need that 2nd row eliminator (SPOIL again). 3R was obvious; 4L had to be what it was because of the remaining unplayed vowel, and solving 4L gave me 4R.

I turned my attention to 2L. I could see the shape, but I had two obvious solutions with 4 letters from which to choose - remaining with or going all cartoonish. I made my choice and was lucky.

1L - I muttered “US spelling!” and laid down the tiles in the horrid order required. Because of the 4th place letter played for the first time, I now knew what the final letter for 2R wasn’t - so I could solve that as well.

3L - I had three possibilities for the 4th letter. I just had a gut feeling that it was reusing a letter - a frequent Octordle tactic. Luck went my way.

And… finally 1R… which could be nothing else.

Voilà - done.

Springy, as you can see, it could so easily have gone wrong for me twice, with luck on my side for 2L and 3L. 58 is not a bad score at all, so take the victory and run with it!

Message 4930 of 5,021
Latest reply