Warning or funeral plan

Stereosonic 2015: Woman dies after music festival at Sydney Olympic Park

THE 25-year-old woman who died after the Stereosonic music festival at Sydney Olympic Park is believed to have taken an ecstasy tablet and mixed it with MDMA while a 22-year-old woman has been discharged from hospital, after earlier being placed in an induced coma.

Paramedics rushed young pharmacist Sylvia Choi of Oyster Bay to Concord Hospital where she died last night.

She is believed to have taken an ecstasy tablet but also may have mixed MDMA in a bottle of water.

“These drugs are made by criminals in back yards,” Assistant Commissioner Menilli said today.

“It’s like opening a bottle of bleach and swallowing it.

“People have to get out of the mentality that you have to take drugs to enjoy a concert.”

The two women were not at the concert together.

Ms Choi’s friends have told police they ingested a “tablet” but police have not said which drug they are suspected of taking.

http://www.news.com.au

If the report is true the warnings will go unheeded. If a chemist is prepared to swallow chemicals of an unknown origin perhaps the best plan is to insist on risk takers to have a fully funded funeral plan sorted out.

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Warning or funeral plan

moonflyte
Community Member

What a tragedy, there's no end to stupidity. Whatever happened to having fun without a chemical enhancer?

Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

Warning or funeral plan

jds_noise
Community Member

@village_person wrote:

“People have to get out of the mentality that you have to take drugs to enjoy a concert.”

Considering what passes for "music" these days, drugs are probably the only thing that makes a concert tolerable let alone enjoyable..

Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

Warning or funeral plan

What I don't understand, is that they pay big money to attend a concert and in the end can not hear a note of the performers for all the yelling and screaming of the other people in the audience.

Just a lousy excuse to get drunk, take drugs and behave like cavemen.

Erica

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

Warning or funeral plan

I Was stunned to hear she was a qualified  pharmicist . I hope she didnt make whatever killed her ... from all we hear of drugs and how risky they are it seems insane a pharmicist would take them.

I really think we need to get much harsher on drug use it seems way to common . These deaths at festivals are becoming a regular  event but more worrisome  is that I read just a day or so ago that police drug testing ,outside Canberra  I think, found 1 in four people tested positive .... I find that terrible  to think its so common  there seem to be an eliment of people in all walks of life who use drugs and its getting worse.

Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

Warning or funeral plan

From the ABC News website -

An emergency physician is one of a growing number of people calling for pill testing at music festivals after a woman's death from an ecstasy overdose at Stereosonic at the weekend.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-30/stereosonic-drug-death-prompts-doctor-warning-worst-yet-to-com...

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

Warning or funeral plan

@amalan11 wrote:

I Was stunned to hear she was a qualified  pharmicist . I hope she didnt make whatever killed her ... from all we hear of drugs and how risky they are it seems insane a pharmicist would take them.

I really think we need to get much harsher on drug use it seems way to common . These deaths at festivals are becoming a regular  event but more worrisome  is that I read just a day or so ago that police drug testing ,outside Canberra  I think, found 1 in four people tested positive .... I find that terrible  to think its so common  there seem to be an eliment of people in all walks of life who use drugs and its getting worse.

Smiley Sad

So on those figures with a crowd of 50,000 at the dance festival 12500 of them (at least) were a buzzing 1 died and

about 150 were either treated or admitted to hospital.... but the other 12350 odd pulled off the buzz ( a gross under

estimate in my opinion... I think a70% pinned 30% high on life scenario is much more likely

lmao get much tougher on drugs........ illicit drug prohibition has been in force in Australia for about 80 years...and

where has that led society?

like... honestly... How well is that prohibition doodaddy going???

...Authorities cannot stop the flow of drugs into Gaols what amazing panacea do you think will stop it in society?

As a short overview it has made trillions of dollars for the black market racketeers. Incarcerated 1,000,000s of people

some of who are suffering from a brain disease called Addiction with no to minimal treatment given other than

abstinence??.....

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/understanding-drug-abuse-addiction

"Many people do not understand why or how other people become addicted to drugs. It is often mistakenly assumed that drug abusers lack moral principles or willpower and that they could stop using drugs simply by choosing to change their behavior. In reality, drug addiction is a complex disease, and quitting takes more than good intentions or a strong will. In fact, because drugs change the brain in ways that foster compulsive drug abuse, quitting is difficult, even for those who are ready to do so. Through scientific advances, we know more about how drugs work in the brain than ever, and we also know that drug addiction can be successfully treated to help people stop abusing drugs and lead productive lives."

(??? refers to the point above re drug flow into Gaols)

So on those figures with a crowd of 50,000 at the dance festival 12500 of them (at least) were a buzzing 1 died and

about 150 were either treated or admitted to hospital.... but the other 12350 odd pulled off the buzz

Do you think (just quietly) that the hypocrisy of the mainstream media talking about Alcohol and drug use ie

segregating  legal drug and an illegal drug is helpful?

Alcohol is a drug, a drug that is abused by a minority what makes you think that the modern recreational drugs should

be any different

Do you think your local drug dealer will teach harm minimization techniques or offer help for those that recognize their

addiction and want to get off the merry go round.

Do you think a licenced business that was responsible in their drug distribution and used a safe recipe that produced

known quality products would be a better place for young inquisitive minds to experiment..... a place where harm

minimization techniques and help for addiction was readily accessable?

I notice that Indonesia's tough stance on drugs... has worked exceeedingly well..... not.... maybe an island surrounded

by crocodiles is the way to go??? How many muslims in Indonesia

http://www.smh.com.au/world/indonesia-to-build-crocodile-prison-island-antidrugs-chief-says-20151111...

Crocodiles would be used to guard prisoners on death row in Indonesia, because "you can't bribe" the reptiles, according to a bizarre proposal from the head of nation's drug agency.

But it gets worse.

The plan also appears to include a Hunger Games-style survival competition, with guards sending out food parcels to a crocodile-surrounded island, but otherwise leaving death row inmates to fend for themselves.

"We will keep sending them food supplies every day. But they have to survive on their own," the chief of Indonesia's anti-drug agency, Budi Waseso, was quoted as saying.

Mr Waseso told Indonesian news website Tempo: "We will place as many crocodiles as we can there. I will search for the most ferocious type of crocodile. You can't bribe crocodiles. You can't convince them to let inmates escape."

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

Warning or funeral plan

So my "solution" to the "drug scourge" is simple.

Take the the black marketeers profit out of it which ,if properly setup, would allow those that are prone to suffer from

addiction access to the help they need and make any legally supplied recreational drug's strength and veracity

accountable to the supplier and the same facts available to the user.

or

we could just keep on watching that lump under the carpet grow till it ruins the lounge room for everybody except the

black marketeers

Just heard another news item on the telly entitled

....... "more people are using drugs than are using alcohol"

lmao what an impossibly contradictory statement at best and at worst an unconscionable sublimally subversive social comment

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

Warning or funeral plan

The island surrounded by ferocious crocodiles sounds good, and that the inmates would have to be self-sustained sounds like a good plan.

Maybe those that defend drug use could attend as well.

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

Warning or funeral plan

Do you mean the publicans or the breweries?

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply