What a way to motivate, not

HE CERTAINLY doesn’t beat around the bush.

The head of the Australian Medical Association Queensland (AMAQ) has slammed residents of the Sunshine State, saying they’re too fat and drink too much, as the group lobbies for health reforms ahead of the state election later this month.

Dr Rudd also said unhealthy meals at school tuckshops should also be scrapped to prevent the next generation developing poor diet habits.

“The school tuckshops are supposed to be healthy places, but the reality is, they (aren’t).”

“We’ve all seen tuckshop ladies and there’s a reason why they’ve got tuckshop arms.”

Apart from being too fat, Queenslanders also drank too much, Dr Rudd said.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/queensland-facing-obesity-state-of-emergency-says-head-of-au...

He has since apologised for the "tuckshop arms" remark.

Message 1 of 57
Latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Smiley Surprised

Sunny Coast resident

Smiley Wink

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 2 of 57
Latest reply

He called a spade a spade. Unfortunately not everyone can swallow the truth.

The Magazines for the last few years have been full of articles about large people having lost a lot of wheight and healthy eating and excercise, so why do we still have so many adults and cildren with wheight problems?

Erica

Message 3 of 57
Latest reply

Because we eat too much, drink to much, have far to much sugar in our diet and don't exercise as much !

Just my HO.

Message 4 of 57
Latest reply

@aps1080 wrote:

Because we eat too much, drink to much, have far to much sugar in our diet and don't exercise as much !

Just my HO.

Yeah we can't actually SAY that because some people might be offended.

Message 5 of 57
Latest reply

I'll coat it with some sugar to make it more palatable ! LOL

Message 6 of 57
Latest reply

He could have expressed that more eloquently and with less exaggeration.

Has he been near any schools lately?

“We’ve all seen tuckshop ladies and there’s a reason why they’ve got tuckshop arms.”

Message 7 of 57
Latest reply

Message 8 of 57
Latest reply

Doctors and others are supposed to motivate, not blame and humiliate.

Those sentiments will have the opposite effect on the very people who need advice and incentives.

Message 9 of 57
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

@aps1080 wrote:

Just my HO.

Yeah we can't actually SAY that because some people might be offended.

People should not get offended when uncomfortable truth is said because something needs to be done.  Overweight people often complain that they are discriminated against and judged etc.  The fact is that overweight people put lots of stress on our medical services.  Something has to be done for their sake and for the sake of their children, who have increased chance to be also obese. 

There is a big difference between being nasty and insulting just for sake of it, which is unacceptable, and constructive criticism. 

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 10 of 57
Latest reply