What do you REALLY think about Doctors and Lawyers?

Do you consider these occupation prestigious?

Did you want to be a lawyer or doctor growing up? 

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I think Ben Casey and Perry Mason are ok.

They were pretty prestigious and I wouldn't mind being like them.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

One of these will litigate;

The other one may operate.

Is it sueing? Is it sewing?

Why do you think that I'd be knowing?

Do I cross-examine a witness

Do I check your bloods and your fitness?

Mwa ha: I'll give my diagnosis:

For BOTH there'll be apotheosis.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

Do you consider these occupation prestigious?

Did you want to be a lawyer or doctor growing up? 

I've had very little to do with lawyers so I've never given them much thought.  Certainly I didn't want to be one. I don't think being a lawyer is prestigious.  From what I've gethered a lot also depends on what kind of law you practice and whether the firm you work for - or own - has a high reputation.  But then I imagine the bigger the firm the more expensive they'd be to engage.  Thinking about the cost 'greedy' is a word that comes to mind.

I've definitely never wanted to be a doctor...or anything to do with the medical profession.  I don't like needles and for years I suffered from 'white-coat syndrome' which is basically having to see a doctor would send my blood pressure sky high.  Since I've had some more recent times in hospital I'm not so nervous,and provided I don't look at any needles PLUS the person administering it does it properly I can take it calmly.  Unfortunately sometimes you get a nurse - or doctor! - who can't get blood for quids and that hurts like hell and the fear factor rises considerably.

What I have found is the more time I spent in hospital, overall the less I respect them.  Some of the doctors I saw spoke about patients as though they were things, not people at all....and they talk about you like that to their students right in front of you.  There were some good nurses....and some I could gladly have damned to Hades.  There's neglect, there's not being truthful on the paperwork and there are nurses and orderlys who can be quite disrespectful and assume you are an idiot who knows nothing. I also had nurses and orderlys that when I had to be moved, grabbed me so hard and ignored my protests, that ultimately they left bruises.  Do I respect these people and their profession?  Frankly not much.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

I consider them very well paid in most cases.

Prestigious. Not so sure. Some of them think they are though.

To get into those courses, they have had to do well so they have academic ability, but that doesn't necessarily make them fantastic human beings for the rest of their lives. I'm with zanadoo on this, I've known quite a few people in the medical field who need a good kick in the backside, to be frank. 

These are like any other professions or occupations anywhere, anytime. Some are great, some are good, some are pathetic.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

To get into those courses, they have had to do well so they have academic ability, but that doesn't necessarily make them fantastic human beings for the rest of their lives. I'm with zanadoo on this, I've known quite a few people in the medical field who need a good kick in the backside, to be frank. 

These are like any other professions or occupations anywhere, anytime. Some are great, some are good, some are pathetic.

Do you consider them over-paid? 

For them to get into medicine and law, they had to do extremely well academically follow by years of gruelling studies. Should they be paid more than a miner or a chef?

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

@springyzone wrote:

Do you consider them over-paid? 

For them to get into medicine and law, they had to do extremely well academically follow by years of gruelling studies. Should they be paid more than a miner or a chef?

The reason they have to do so well academically is not because the course itself is only suited to the 99.5% achievers. It is because of the scarcity of places for those courses and the number of applicants.

The lower the number of applicants, the lower the entry score will be in any one year.

I can remember one time in the 1990s when teaching in Vic was so undesirable (no jobs and known to have no jobs) that people with extremely low scores could get in as there were so few applicants.

I know that's teaching and law & medicine are more rigorous but to be honest, I think a lot of students with scores of eg 95% could make just as good doctors as the 99.5% ones.

I don't consider doctors overpaid, nor nurses. But it can depend on the jobs. My sister in law earns as much on 2 shifts as I ever did in a week. And on night shift where she is, she often has time to sit down and knit. I am not saying that that is the norm, just that where she is, she's on a good wicket.

Those in the law, they seem to me extremely highly paid at several hundred dollars an hour. Whether it is too much, I am not certain.

People who spend the time in completing long and difficult courses should get paid well once they are out in the workforce. They deserve more than an unskilled person. Wages are usually based on training and talent.

Whether that makes a job prestigious though I don't know.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Reformed lawyers are the salt of the earth.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

They could (at any time) have our lives in their hands.....choose wisely
Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

well

when i need either i just hope i get a good one

so far so good

never required a lawyer so far

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply