What's For Dinner?

I'm quite excited about mine which is cooking now.  

I'm boiling a chicken for stock.  It's smelling good.  When it's cooked, I'm going to use the meat to make a curry and the stock for cooking rice in.  I'm going to add chopped onions to the rice and vegetables to the curry.  Then I shall serve it up and it will be good and tasty and a bit oily 🙂

How about you?  

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

What's For Dinner?

? (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)

Kecap manis (pronounced like "ketchup") is a ubiquitous ingredient in Indonesian cooking. If you are unable to find it at your local Asian market, this recipe is an approximation. This soy-based sauce is the origin of the word "ketchup," even though the original Indonesian version contains no tomatoes.

Message 11 of 37
Latest reply

What's For Dinner?

I never knew that, Az.  The curry sounds lovely.  With mine, I'm using a laksa paste and coconut cream or milk (whatever I have).  

Allie ... I really prefer to hear from real people about their cooking experiences 🙂

Message 12 of 37
Latest reply

What's For Dinner?

Hi katy,

I saw kep manis mentioned on Alive and Cooking so I bought a

bottle at Aldi.

It's sweet soy sauce and widely used in Indonesian cuisine.

I tried it instead of using normal soy and brown sugar.

The proof is yet to come.

Cheers John.

Message 13 of 37
Latest reply

What's For Dinner?

Ah, thanks Az.  Now I get it.  

I used to love having nasi goreng for breakfast in Bali ... I've never tried making it, though.

Message 14 of 37
Latest reply

What's For Dinner?

Thanks, Jonn.  Let us know how it comes out.  

I like Indonesian food, but can't remember trying it out myself.  I can imagine it would really go well with salmon.  

Cue, that sounds good. I like meatballs.  I used to make them as part of a Mediterranean feast with a home-made tomato sauce - just little bite sized ones.  

And I adore fresh cooked donuts ... I was so pleased when we went to Victoria a couple of years ago and I found a shop that sold freshly cooked jam donuts ... I bought some and all the extended family loved them 🙂

Message 15 of 37
Latest reply

What's For Dinner?

I never knew that, Az.  The curry sounds lovely.  With mine, I'm using a laksa paste and coconut cream or milk (whatever I have).  

Allie ... I really prefer to hear from real people about their cooking experiences 🙂

You are right, of course.  But there are lost of great recipes if you google.

Message 16 of 37
Latest reply

What's For Dinner?

Mini night for us

mini burgers

mini dimsims

marinated chicken wingettes

chicken and camembert party pies

with some dips, olives, cheeses and the most important thing......

WINE!  (the only thing that wont be mini!)

Message 17 of 37
Latest reply

What's For Dinner?

WINE!  (the only thing that wont be mini!)

"

Lol!

The salmon was divine,

I'll now buy cutlets every 7-10 days.

Next to try is Mongolian beef.

I like this cooking caper (nothing fancy).

Message 18 of 37
Latest reply

What's For Dinner?

I have shallow fried some tender loins coated in spicy taco mix and bread crumbs, served with crispy lettuce, spanish onions, cucumber slices, roma tomatoes, avocado slices and topped with honey mustard dressing. On the side bear battered chipped cooked fat free in the oven so they are very crisp. Are you all drooling ? hope so.

Keep it nice, I might cry if you write anything upsetting (like not)
Message 19 of 37
Latest reply

What's For Dinner?

I have shallow fried some tender loins coated in spicy taco mix and bread crumbs, served with crispy lettuce, spanish onions, cucumber slices, roma tomatoes, avocado slices and topped with honey mustard dressing. On the side bear battered chipped cooked fat free in the oven so they are very crisp. Are you all drooling ? hope so.

"

Drooling?  Absolutely!!

Spanish onions are exquisite.

Message 20 of 37
Latest reply