Who Else Is Sick Of Corporate Price Gouging.

Who else is sick of corporate price gouging and the Government’s seeming inability and/or unwillingness to do anything about it

Two recent examples.

I recently purchased late model second hand car.  Unfortunately it came with only one ignition key.  Called my local Holden dealer to get a duplicate.  The cost $380 for an item which would have only cost a couple of dollars to produce and distribute.

Recently moved to a new residence, where the phone lines are so old they won’t support an internet service.  Therefore our only option was wireless.

Now in our old house, where the internet service was connected to the land line our total monthly phone and internet bill was $65, which included 8 gigs of data and free calls to all landlines including STS calls.  However here for the same amount of calls and data the cost is twice is much.

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Ain't Capitalism Grand.Woman Mad

Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

$50 for a duplicate key from local locksmith.....he came out to my car and coded it

Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

@tall_bearded wrote:

Who else is sick of corporate price gouging and the Government’s seeming inability and/or unwillingness to do anything about it

Two recent examples.

I recently purchased late model second hand car.  Unfortunately it came with only one ignition key.  Called my local Holden dealer to get a duplicate.  The cost $380 for an item which would have only cost a couple of dollars to produce and distribute.

You can get a key copied yourself which will open the door.  But it won't start the car, otherwise anyone could start your car.  I realise it will cost more but I agree that that quote is over the top.  I was quoted $280 for a a key, but gave it a miss.

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

@polksaladallie wrote:

@tall_bearded wrote:

Two recent examples.

You can get a key copied yourself which will open the door.  But it won't start the car, otherwise anyone could start your car.  I realise it will cost more but I agree that that quote is over the top.  I was quoted $280 for a a key, but gave it a miss.

of course it starts the car lol

Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

No it doesn't   lol

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

"of course it starts the car lol"

No it doesn't.  The key has a chip in it.  When the key is placed into the ignition switch the chip disengages the immobiliser.  Therefore unless the key has a chip with has been programmed to the correct frequency it will not start the car.

Also capitalism only works where Governments force business to compete and penalise them when they don’t.

The car key is a perfect example.  There is no way $380 could be justified on any other basis but, ‘you need it because your car is useless without it, so I can charge pretty much as much as I want’.  Now a locksmith could produce the same item for less than $50, whilst still leaving a healthy profit margin.  However because the car company charges so much, they follow suit.  That is, reduce the already significantly inflated cost by a few dollars and call it competition.  The solution, if the product being sold falls within the definition of “a necessary item” then the profit margin is a regulated, with mandatory fines for those caught charging in excess of the regulated amount.

The phone bill is even easier to implement.  All that is required is a small change to the existing legation to the effect that, if a company supplies item or service which fall within the definition of “necessary” then all customers are entitled to the same product and/or at the same price.  That is if Telstra has a plan which provides free calls and a given amount of gigs of data to landline customers at a fixed price, then the same product at the same price, must be made available to those customers, who because of the lack of infrastructure, are forced to use wireless.  

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

Capitalism only works where Governments force business to compete and penalise them when they don’t.

The car key is a perfect example.  There is no way $380 could be justified on any other basis but, ‘you need it because your car is useless without it, so I can charge pretty much as much as I want’.  Now a locksmith could produce the same item for less than $50, whilst still leaving a healthy profit margin.  However because the car company charges so much, they follow suit.  That is, reduce the already significantly inflated cost by a few dollars and call it competition.  The solution, if the product being sold falls within the definition of “a necessary item” then the profit margin is a regulated, with mandatory fines for those caught charging in excess of the regulated amount.

The phone bill is even easier to implement.  All that is required is a small change to the existing legation to the effect that, if a company supplies item or service which fall within the definition of “necessary” then all customers are entitled to the same product and/or at the same price.  That is if Telstra has a plan which provides free calls and a given amount of gigs of data to landline customers at a fixed price, then the same product at the same price, must be made available to those customers, who because of the lack of infrastructure, are forced to use wireless.  

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

gosh I wonder how my duplicate key worked then....coded the same as the original key. looks the same excet for the Holden badge . 

my daughter did the same....maybe we are just lucky . or our locksmith is clever

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

@tall_bearded wrote:

Now in our old house, where the internet service was connected to the land line our total monthly phone and internet bill was $65, which included 8 gigs of data and free calls to all landlines including STS calls.  However here for the same amount of calls and data the cost is twice is much.

But Malcolm and Tony said all the copper is good and nobody needs the NBN.

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply