Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Who is being bombarded by phone scammers

Yes.

the scams I have had are:

microsoft technical department

telstra technical department, about problems with my internet connection

"the bank" unspecified, of course, to say there was suspicious activity on my credit card

with any call supposedly from a bank, I do not ever give any details, but ask for their name and direct phone number.

then, if it sounds even remotely reasonable, I ring my bank directly, using the official number, NOT the one the caller gives me and then transfer to the correct department to talk to them i.e. Credit card.

once, I did have a real call about activity on my credit card, followed it up, it was a real transaction, and they told me that I was "very sensible" to have called the bank directly, rather than discuss it with the person who called. Even though it was legitimate, it may not have been.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

We use to get all them, and for other reasons we got a unlisted number last year, plus we registered with *Do not call* and now the only people that ring are family and friends.

None of these scam calls now.

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

I will be interested to hear if the calls lessen. I have not thought about having an OS block put on the phone. Makes sense I think.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

If I get any of the scam calls I just answer every question that they ask with "NO" it works they just hang up.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

'Do Not Call' doesn't work. I've been on it for years and even reregister when you're supposed to, they still call. They know quite well that nothing will happen to them if they call.

No one is home during the day, so I wouldn't know how many we actually get. I do know in the first few seconds if it's a scam or a cold call, as they ask for Mrs Maiden-name. No one here by that name, at which point I hang up and forget about it.
Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

I had one recenty saying that I had over $7500 owing to me from my bank in overcharged fees. Yeah right.
I told him that I will follow it up with my bank as I work there.

I don't answer the overseas calls and if there is a delay after my first hello I just hang up.
Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

@ten*teeny*tiny*toes wrote:
I had one recenty saying that I had over $7500 owing to me from my bank in overcharged fees. Yeah right.
I told him that I will follow it up with my bank as I work there.

I don't answer the overseas calls and if there is a delay after my first hello I just hang up.

I got that one too... They said I had to pay upfront tax of around $400 before I cold get my money

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

As well as the Microsoft / wndows scam callers ( I try to keep them on the phone as long as possible  to give the next poor target a reprieve.. acting like a slightly ditzy old lady (not hard for me at all!) so that they keep on trying to get me to follow instructions), the "bank" one (yeah right - I hang up on them) -

There is a newer one - saying you are owed compensation from a motor accident. My BIL got it this one a while back and when he refused to go along with them and hung up, they rang back - twice - getting more aggresive each time! When he asked why they were doing this, the (indian?) caller laughed and said it was because Australians were stupid and would tell him anything he wanted, and it was so easy to get money from them!

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

if ever I don't get to the phone in time I: *10#
usually tells me 'no unanswered call' and then you know it's a computer ringing you....usually bogus 'Windows' or a money-making scheme. Must be profitable because they never give up
Message 10 of 21
Latest reply