Why Doesn't Our Government Do Anything about Floods and Fires and Drought

I don't get it ... we have floods and fires and droughts and we have inquiries about them, but nothing happens.  

Couldn't we move the water around to help with fires and droughts?  Couldn't we store some of the water from rain and flood to assist in droughts and fires?  Couldn't we put systems in place to be prepared for natural catastrophes?  Couldn't we do more to prepare for fires BEFORE they happen?  Couldn't we make dams bigger, or make more dams, or store the water to prevent flooding?  

Why do we just let disasters happen again and again and again?  

Message 1 of 51
Latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

bec

I don't get it ... we have floods and fires and droughts and we have inquiries about them, but nothing happens.  

Couldn't we move the water around to help with fires and droughts?  Couldn't we store some of the water from rain and flood to assist in droughts and fires?  Couldn't we put systems in place to be prepared for natural catastrophes?  Couldn't we do more to prepare for fires BEFORE they happen?  Couldn't we make dams bigger, or make more dams, or store the water to prevent flooding?  

Why do we just let disasters happen again and again and again?  

because you can't control nature and no matter what preparation is carried out there will always be something else, a higher flood, an earthquake or cyclone etc.  it would certainly make sense though to relocate people out of flood zones which go under regularly, building up the areas may just cause flooding in other areas.    

Such is life.
Message 41 of 51
Latest reply

What I find amazing is that years back when you traveled up north, there were nothing but 'Queenslanders' along the rivers and low lying areas...not the two legged type the 'housing type'...lmao. 

Do ya reckon they mighta known how to live with nature a tad better back then?  These days it's 'Don't raise the bridge, lower the river', or build in a flood plain...lol

Why isn't the 'Queenslander' standard building practice in areas that flood?  Always was !!!

Woops this should probably be on the 'way back' thread...lol

Message 42 of 51
Latest reply

Was your home built before or after 1981? Building standards improved at that time to ensure that homes are built to withstand expected cyclonic winds. The Building Code of Australia now requires importance level 2 structures (i.e. houses) to be designed according to the wind loading standard AA/NZS 1170.2, which equates to nearly 70m/s referenced at 10m height in flat, open terrain for the cyclonic regions of North Queensland.

http://hardenup.org/prepare-yourself/practical-preparation-advice/property-and-assets/prepare-for-cyclones/prepare-your-home-for-cyclones.aspx

are low set more cyclone proof perhaps Cue ?

Message 43 of 51
Latest reply

http://www.qldreconstruction.org.au/publications-guides/resilience-rebuilding-guidelines/wind-resistant-housing

Planning for a stronger, more resilient North QueenslandPart 2 - Wind resistant housing

Summary

This Guideline provides recommendations on what you should consider to ensure that your home is repaired and rebuilt to meet current standards for wind loads associated with cyclones and other severe wind events such as thunderstorms.

This guideline is intended to:

Advise you as a home owner of key issues associated with rebuilding, repairing and maintaining your home as your reside in an area prone to severe wind conditions associated with tropical cyclones and stormsProvide guidance to assist in ensuring design outcomes are compatible with the tropical climate, the character of the local area and the needs of the residents andOutline the approvals process including building certification.

It might be explained somewhere in the site ?

Message 44 of 51
Latest reply

Cue, my gallivanting days are on hold for the next two years.  My son's in Year 11 ... 

No, I haven't been following the case ... but I will have a look at it ... I'm in NSW now.

(And can I just say that so far, it's been a beautiful day in Coffs Harbour and we even got some sunshine and my carpet is starting to dry out 🙂 )

I used to so love Peter Beatty ... a politician unafraid to accept responsibility, say sorry, and change things.  

In Brisbane, they're getting rid of Queenslanders ... such a shame.  I think they've finally declared that some have heritage value.  

But, WE need to ask for what we want from politicians, too.  I should write them more letters, LOL.  

Message 45 of 51
Latest reply

j*oono
Community Member

That's a great idea Cue.  I love the old Queenslander homesteads too. 

Joono
Message 46 of 51
Latest reply

Can't say Iza.....I'm not in a cyclone area, but it's a bit like a rock & a hard place....you build high to avoid flood & get blown away, or you build low, avoid getting blown away & cop flood.

Why is it that they can make highrise buildings and flats cyclone proof then?  Remember, I'm not an engineer, but it seems foundations are the key.  The higher and stronger the better.

Message 47 of 51
Latest reply

That's a great idea Cue.  I love the old Queenslander homesteads too. 

Some good memories and great times associated with that kind of house Joono - they just had truckloads of character I reckon = hanging out on the verandah...hell, sleeping on the veranda...lol.  

Message 48 of 51
Latest reply

Can't say Iza.....I'm not in a cyclone area, but it's a bit like a rock & a hard place....you build high to avoid flood & get blown away, or you build low, avoid getting blown away & cop flood.

Why is it that they can make highrise buildings and flats cyclone proof then?  Remember, I'm not an engineer, but it seems foundations are the key.  The higher and stronger the better.

that info up there said up to 10m so that could be two levels.

Perhaps it just became fashionable to have something different and/or various areas hadn't had significant floods for so many years so at the time they(low set)  were considered a safe option.

I am one southerner who would love to have a Queenslander or a new fire safe version of one .

Message 49 of 51
Latest reply

Mine is a two story house but our foundations are well out of the ground on the lower side of the land so we never flood.   If I were building up North the classic Queenslander (built according to modern engineering standards) would be a hands down winner in terms of design.

Facing North of course....luvs the N/Easter on a hot day sitting on my balcony...it's not a 'Queenslander' but if I close my eyes it feels like one......lol

Message 50 of 51
Latest reply