Why do more men than women die by suicide?

Why is it that women are more likely to be diagnosed with depression and to attempt suicide, yet the male suicide rate is several times higher than female?

Is it because men have it harder? 

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

Why is it that women are more likely to be diagnosed with depression and to attempt suicide, yet the male suicide rate is several times higher than female?

it harder..... what`s harder Bob??Smiley Tongue

couldn`t resist he left himself wide open!!LOL

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Maybe it's because women are more resilient.

Or that men won't admit imperfection. Especially mental issues.

You tell me. You seem to be across the (unpublished by you) statistics.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Maybe women care more for the feelings of those left behind.

Perhaps women can express their feelings more easily.

Maybe men feel more pressure to be the "strong one".

I really have no idea, I haven't even seen the statistics to support the premise of the question.

Although I doubt it's because "men have it harder".
Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

I don't think depression  discriminates, neither is it gender specific., but men hide it more. It's not 'manly ' to be depressed.    Fortunately these attitudes are changing as celebrities open up about their own mental health battles thank goodness.

Ihttps://headsupguys.org/20-male-celebrities-speaking-depression/

(And I don't think this is LOL topic, it's too sad, as those who have lost close ones to suicide will relate_to. ).

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

The global suicide rate in males is not several times higher than females. It is just over twice as high. And the reasons vary from country to country. For example, depression, mental illness and alcohol abuse are linked to suicide in high income countries. But experiences of conflict, disaster, violence, abuse, or loss and a sense of isolation are strongly associated with suicidal behaviour everywhere. So it would somewhat depend on whether you are referring to suicides in the western world, oppressed countries, or other third world countries. I doubt it is because "men have it harder".

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

The reasons for suicide and attempted suicide are individual, and vary from person to person.

It is neither possible nor useful to aggregate and categorise those reasons by reference to sex.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

If we're going to have a society that says we can't call children boys or girls, and  that we can't differentiate between them or the sexes in any way, then by rights, we certainly couldn't be having a discusson about why male suicide is higher than female suicide, surely?

In fact, researchers shouldn't even be taking such stats, if we want to go the whole way.

Mind you, I think there are some differences between the sexes and they are not all just cultural/nurturing differences.

I suspect men, with their Y chromosomes, are just wired to be slightly more aggressive/active etc. Women (so the studies show) are inclined to talk more each day.

The differences aren't massive so there's an overlap of behaviour, but if men are desperately unhappy, they are probably slightly more likely to take action.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

Travel all over the countryside...ask Bettina ....ask Bettina Arndt... (Arndt's interview with Grace Tame's abuser Nicolaas Bester led me to this video)

The comments under the interview are just as telling as the interview itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cwchef5nEA

Imagine the outcry if a man was appointed head of a leading domestic violence prevention organisation? So how come the federal government has just proudly announced a woman, Christine Morgan, as National Suicide Prevention Officer? This is just the latest move by a government determined to deny the fact that suicide is overwhelmingly a male problem, with six out of eight of our daily suicides taking the lives of men.

Amazingly the recently released National Suicide Prevention Implementation Plan is proudly “gender neutral”, failing to acknowledge that men not only dominate suicide statistics but offering no special programmes to address the unique causes of male suicide, which differ dramatically from those of women who end their own lives.

The alleged link to mental health problems is the most glaring mistake. “Around 80 per cent of people who die by suicide have a mental health issue,” declared ScoMo yesterday when announcing Morgan’s appointment. No, Prime Minister. That’s simply not true of men, the major group at risk. Australian research shows over half of all male suicides, 78 per cent of male farmer suicides and 83 per cent of suicides in older men were not predominantly associated with a mental health diagnosis – according to the Australian Institute of Suicide Research and Prevention and other related studies.

The government proudly declares they are working towards a zero suicide goal yet the PM lists as those most at risk, “veterans, Indigenous Australians and young people”. Not one word about the most vulnerable group – the ordinary men, particularly family men in their 30s and 40s losing their families.

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

There's a lot of pressure on men to be men and some men think that it's a cop out  That thinking needs to be changed. That's a start.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply