Woolworths to trial paper shopping bags

but not in all stores

https://au.news.yahoo.com/woolworths-new-move-to-counter-criticism-over-plastic-bag-ban-053059657.ht...

Think most of us would remember the paper shopping bags from the past.

Still, I wonder if there will be some that will object to them for some reason.

Sometimes I say that many things are like being on a giant wheel,

sooner or later they get back to where they started from.

Parking meters, double deck buses, trams/light rail etc have all come, gone and returned,

and now it may be the return of the paper grocery bag.

I still have hopes that someday Microsoft will bring back a modern version of windows 3.1 Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 45
Latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

I remember when it was fashionable to 'Save a Tree'

Message 2 of 45
Latest reply

If some of the tantrums I witnessed in Woolies stores when they changed from one type of plastic bag to another is anything to go by, I hate to think 

I've been taking my own cloth bags without the help of a car for more than twenty years so never developed an addiction to plastic bags 

One hope they also intend to get rid of all the other plastic waste they sell (pre bagged /single wrapped fruit and veg) just love the 'shrink wrapped cucumber' 'plastic covered bananas etc

I know Coles sure won't

Message 3 of 45
Latest reply

I'm in SA so we're used to not getting plastic bags...I literally have about 50 recyclable bags in the boot.....they breed!!
Message 4 of 45
Latest reply

It might be a good idea, they might find a use for all the acres n acres of unwanted blue gums

I dont buy enough at WW to care either way   ..... 

Message 5 of 45
Latest reply

@travlyn2012 wrote:

but not in all stores

https://au.news.yahoo.com/woolworths-new-move-to-counter-criticism-over-plastic-bag-ban-053059657.ht...

Think most of us would remember the paper shopping bags from the past.

Sometimes I say that many things are like being on a giant wheel,

sooner or later they get back to where they started from.

Parking meters, double deck buses, trams/light rail etc have all come, gone and returned,

and now it may be the return of the paper grocery bag.

I still have hopes that someday Microsoft will bring back a modern version of windows 3.1 Smiley Wink

I think they are nuts.  I remember the paper bags era. 

You need them to be fairly thick to hold heavy items otherwise you will need more of them, and if they come with handles that's an extra cost and extra paper.

One of the reasons plastic bags replaced paper ones was because the paper ones got thinner and thinner and you had to double bag evenything.  How long before that happens again?

Best memories of paper bags - trying to put too much in one and having it split down the sides with cans rolling down the carpark away from the boot, or down a drive into the gutters AND seeing them reduced to papier mache in heavy rain. 🙂

Message 6 of 45
Latest reply

When did they use paper bags in the old days? Must have been before my time.

fast food joints use them though

Signatures suck.
Message 7 of 45
Latest reply

I was in NZ a few months ago and Countdown (similar to Woollies) were using them.  They don't have free single use plastic bags there at all any more so you either take your own bags or purchase one of the stronger plastic reusable ones.  The paper ones were an alternative to them and from memory cost 20c

A couple of times when I had just popped into the shop for a couple of things, I bought a paper bag rather than a plastic one.  They are a little stronger than I remember paper bags being in the old days (unlike Joz, I'm old enough to remember) and have handles.  Mum really likes to use them in the kitchen to put the recycling in. They stand upright and fit nicely into the cupboard and the whole thing can go in the recycle bin.

Message 8 of 45
Latest reply

There are so many alternatives to 'plastic bags' available  it should not even be an issue, it is only an issue because people demand they want plastic 

Message 9 of 45
Latest reply

Prior to leaving school in the early 70s I worked in supermarket stacking shelves on Tuesday & Thursday nights.

Thursday night shopping hours began in  NSW while I was working there, possibly towards the end of 1971)

The bags were all paper, and were for some years after.

No handles on them and they were reasonably strong.

We do our shopping as we need it, as we have a number of supermarkets close by,

and will often only require 1 or 2 bags and are the cloth type.

Message 10 of 45
Latest reply