Would This Still Be OK To Drink?

Had to clean out our drinks cabinet as we are moving next year. Found an old bottle of Blackberry Nip hiding at the back. When I finally managed to get the top off and had a sniff it smelt rank to me, however, hubby is adamant he is going to try some with dinner tonight. 

His sense of taste and smell are terrible, so I have visions of him being very sick.

Is booze this old (must be over 20yrs) still OK or not?

Ta

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

We'll find out after the autopsy:-D
Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

It probably won't kill him. But won't taste the best. Why don't you just tip it out and replace it with Ribena or something. Or just tell him to wait until you've increased his life insurance if he wants to indulge.
Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

I cleaned out my fridge yesterday and almost cried as I poured a fantastic opened bottle of Chardonnay down the kitchen sink because it was a few months old.

If I had to throw mine out you should be throwing your's out! 🙂

PS I had a 5 year old bottle of Marsala sweet wine (not kept in the fridge) I use for Tiramisu. I actually rang a bottle shop and asked if it would still be OK. They said it wouldn't kill my dinner guests but to be on the safe side I should buy a new one. I did because I almost poisoned my brother-in-law once. He's a horticulturist and I'd served him a salad to which I'd added some flowers to. Turns out the flowers were poisonous. I'm still trying to live that down after many years.

Cat Embarassed

Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

I'm cancelling my dinner invitation with you next week Mioux

Smiley LOL

Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

If his taste and smell is that bad then pour the stuft down the sink and replace it with vinegar, he won't notice the difference. 

Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

The alcohol in it would prevent any bacteria living in it. He'll be fine.

Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

He says he'll try it later tonight...

Reminds me of a joke he played on his father once. His dad liked VERY weak tea.....just pass the teabag over the cup sort of thing. One day he gave his dad a cup of vegemite instead of the tea. His dad kept remarking he could smell vegemite somewhere, but drank his cup of 'tea' anyway. Crook sense of taste must run in hubby's family.

Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

My dad had a jar of grapes preserved in some kind of booze, no idea what it was but it was older than me. He bought back when the family used to live in Griffith I think. Would have to have been a good 30 years old. He used to open it up from time to time and eat some out of it when I'd tell him to throw it out and he'd claim they were "still good." Found the jar a couple months ago when I was clearing out his house and opened up the jar. Gave it a sniff, fuuuuu nearly blew my head off. They went straight in the bin lol. I'm sure I got drunk just from the fumes.

Also I make myself vegemite soup sometimes too. Couple of tablespoons of it dissolved in hot water. Yummy. It's awesome to dip toast in.

Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

why take the risk, geeze, understandable if youre an alcoholic

so, i woulda drank it in my 20s

Signatures suck.
Message 10 of 29
Latest reply