Would you go back?

We are doing extension and I want whatever is going to be left of my garden to be easy care, no mowing, no bending type.  That means paving what is still unpaved and putting in number of huge pots and troughs, so I can plant and weed without bending (bending too much). 

So, I went to look some places that sell large pots to give me an idea what is there,and how many thousands I should plan for.  I ended up in Pots Galore on Springvale Rd.  and they had number of things that would suit me very well and I was planning to spend quite a bit there, once I decided exactly.  But while I was there they had a really nice pot on special, so I grabbed it.  Or should I say 2 nice shoppers helped me to put it in the trolley - it weighs a ton.  So when I went to look for a saucer I could not actually lift it to try for size.  But there was only one kind anywhere near the size and shape (square) and it was the same glaze.  I also noticed that the same saucers were priced 2 different prices; looked to me as some was very old stock all dusty, and the new ones were priced lot more, which is not surprising considering the drop in our dollar.  Anyway, the cashier, who said she is the owner, would not sell the saucer for the marked price.  She said that the one digit "faded"; well there was no space for another digit between the price and the $ sign.  I did not particularly care, it was $10 difference, but in all the grand scheme of things it was not relevant; I was just bleeped off that she was so rude about it.  I just kept saying, OK I pay but is it right size for this pot and she confirmed it is.  When I got it home I realised the saucer is too small, about 1cm too small.  I am furious, I should have checked as the guy loaded it for me, but I was upset by this woman screaming at me, I just wanted to get out of there and never come back. 

As a matter of principle I feel I should go back and ask for my money back.  But I hate confrontations and the place is 20km from here..........   So, should I go back or just stick it in my messy corner with all the other unfortunate items I have no use for, and hope one day I will have a pot to fit it?

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Would you go back?

I wouldnt go out of my way to take it back, even if I was livid like you, but I would put it in the car, so that I can take it back if I was down that way.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Would you go back?

Some ppl just shouldn't be in business. 🙂 One thing is for sure, you won't be buying the rest of your pots there.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

Would you go back?

I'd probably be really annoyed but instead of driving out of my way for another argument,I'd spend my $ elsewhere.I'd whinge about them to any gardening friends i know.Very bad customer service & they are meant to charge the price on it.If the pricing is wrong,that's their fault.

I have mainly concrete,so i have countless container plants in my yard.If you are planting water thirsty plants or mature trees in them,then the saucer is a must in Summer.They dry out so quickly no matter if they were well watered the day before.A lot of plants are high maintenance in pots.Trees & palms are heavy & difficult to unpot & trim the roots when they outgrow the pot.Horrible back breaking job so pick your plants carefully.

If it's a large pot & adding small plants,i break up some styro box to add before i put potting mix in for things a bit drought tolerant & other plants that hate being waterlogged.All my cacti & succulents have styro in 'em.

For some shrubs like camelia that don't look thirsty until it's too late, i pot an indicator plant like violets with them.When the violets wilt a bit,i know they are ready for watering.

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Would you go back?

If I were heading that way again, I would take it back, if not I would just wear it

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

Would you go back?

I wouldnt go out of my way to take it back, even if I was livid like you, but I would put it in the car, so that I can take it back if I was down that way.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Would you go back?

I would phone the lady who sold the saucer to you and explain that she sold you the wrong size because as you say, she confirmed that the size was correct.  Explain that you drove 20km to get there and as it was her mistake, ask her how she can resolve the problem for you.

I too would not want to drive back 20km just to return or exchange it but why should you be out of pocket or stuck with the wrong size saucer because she was having a cranky day and chose not to do her job properly. 

If I was you, I'd wait and phone them when I wasn't so furious.  That way you can discuss it in a calm rational manner and maybe come to some resolution.  Perhaps if you were to say, well I'll drive back but I would like the correct one at a discounted price to make up for the inconvenience and petrol. 

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Would you go back?

a little off topic, kind of - depending on what you are going to plant in your pots saucers aren't necessary and if you are going to have natives you don't want saucers as majority don't like wet feet. A good tip is keep the pots off the ground with some type of grate and cover the drainage holes inside the pots with fly screen or something similar to keep nematodes and earth worms out. Make sure pots have lots of drainage holes - the more the merrier.

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Would you go back?

I agree and then use the saucer as a bird feeder 🙂

Photobucket
Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

Would you go back?

Simone has such a sensible, suitable and serene answer.  Smiley Happy

You needed Freddie's husband with his tape measureSmiley LOL

( Now if I was really angry and in the heat of the moment I'd be tempted to take the pot and drip tray back.  Because the pot was bought on the premise that the drip tray was the correct size.) 

Too much trouble I know but what a nuisance and the attitude of the owner of the outlet is almost unbelievable.  

Now, where are you going to buy the plants?

DEB

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Would you go back?

I dont have saucers under most of my pots, I find they dont need them

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

Would you go back?

Some ppl just shouldn't be in business. 🙂 One thing is for sure, you won't be buying the rest of your pots there.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

Would you go back?

Meant to say, those little wheely things that go under pots are good. You can move pots around easily, and because they lift the pots up, the drainage is good.

5c168e7a-38b5-4674-b3fe-a3fe5289778b.jpg

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply