16 REPLIES 16

Wouldn't it be good

I think the article is too vague.

I do agree with some aspects. There is a lot of talk about mental health and mental illness as if it is something intrinsic within the person, a fault if you like, that needs to be diagnosed and then treated, maybe with medication.

But from what I can see, there seems to be a range of different stuff that comes under the umbrella.

To me, there are definitely some people who have mental illness ie the problem is within them. It's like any physical condition you can be born with, sometimes I think something is just a bit haywire in the body system. In those cases, sometimes medication can help, sometimes it can't.

Then we come to conditions in children. Again, a (very) few are mentally not right or may have other problems. It's not necessarily the parents or the teachers or anything else causing it.

Then there are others who are diagnosed as eg oppositionally defiant. I believe in some cases these are behaviour issues rather than mental conditions as such.

Then there is depression. Again, often treated with medication. But in my experience with people (and I have known a few depression), even people with diagnosed mental conditions such as bipolar, there are often triggers in the environment and those triggers are often linked with economic circumstances. Being out of a job or worrying about how to pay the next bill can be enormously stressful times for anyone and it is no wonder suicide rates go up in times of unemployment etc

It is that aspect i don't think is addressed enough. To relieve the depression, the stresses need to be lessened. I know someone at the moment who is almost breaking down under severe economic pressures and has been offered counselling when what she really needs (in my opinion) is economic help.

I have noticed one thing. You're not going to like it though.Smiley Happy

I think quite a bit of the trouble in today's society is the sense of isolation, being alone, having to cope with problems alone, and also a lack of a sense of purpose or some people feeling they are needed. Some people feel rudderless.

I have noticed that often those who have strong ties with another group-and this is often a religious group- are much better off.

They feel they are part of a community with shared values. They have a clear vision, they often have support outside the family in tough times, they have a sense of purpose.

I'm not saying their beliefs are necessarily 'true', but it provides them with that view of an orderly world.

And that's part of what is lacking in our society. It is fragmented, no clear sense of a social group for a lot of people. 

I always remember my mum telling me that during WW2, the community came together. They were different times and hard times and there was stress but it says a lot that suicide rates in the 1960s were much higher than during the war.
Don't try to tell me things were harder in the 1960s. They most definitely weren't. The people of the 1940s had just gone through the Great depression then were thrust into war.

And there was suicide then too. But probably the rates were not quite as high as the people had a sense of cumminity and purpose.

The bit about needing to cut the working week down to 3 or 4 days is not necessarily correct either. If people like their work then they can often cope with 5 days. I think having too little to do can be just as much a problem as having too much to do.

But if you want to lessen depression in kids & teens, I think you need to bring them up with clear values and be in some outside community groups that give them a sense of belonging and some rites of passage. They often need that.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Wouldn't it be good

martinw-48
Community Member
Well I believe a better society would create an environment where there is less suicide.
Why is school so shyte.
Why do you have to work five days.
If you need God to make you feel better so be it but why do they shove it down the throats of those of us not so weak and pathetic that we need something watching over us to not be awful.
I checked out the men's shed.
It is full of the men I hate.
That judge me as being unworthy of existence because I don't have the regulatory hair cut. That make misogynistic remarks about women.
Such as asking me what sex with my girlfriend is like because they've always wanted to root her figuring that "she'd go off ".
Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Wouldn't it be good

martinw-48
Community Member
It's funny how you equate not working as having nothing to do.
I have never liked work because I had chores to do before and after school every day.
These were never done to my fathers satisfaction thus leading to constant beating.
I feel ill when traveling to work because of the association with work and violent punishment.
Sure if you have no life and need endless hours of work to feel better then that's your choice.
I have interests outside of work.
Always have and always will.
I only need work to survive and fund my interests.
I can do that with less than five days work and feel much better about life when I do the things I like rather than making some ungrateful employer more money
Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Wouldn't it be good

martinw-48
Community Member
The true suicide rate will never be known.
As one expert said that no one is able to tell how many single vehicle accidents are actually suicide.
How will we ever know if the huge number of missing people hides some suicides.
My father killed himself.
I was at the point of having had twelve years of terror that I was seriously trying to figure out how to stab him to death.
I benefited from suicide because most likely he would have killed me if I tried to kill him.
My sister is seriously mentally affected by his suicide and because of this it is the only reason I haven't killed myself yet.
I can't stand the company of most men.
Seriously nearly all women are married to an awful man.
That has made a success of being two faced.
Nice as pie when with their wives but an awful human being when in the company of other men.
Why do you think there were so many men only establishments in the old days.
It was to denergrate women.
Most men hate women with a passion.
This is why there is so much violence towards women.
Women are mainly deluded.
You might get upset and shout me down as a sexist pig for my statements but I'm one of the few that aren't a sexist pig.
The truth hurts more than you realize
Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Wouldn't it be good

martinw-48
Community Member
Most women will never know their husband truly because of ignorance
Most men will never know their wife truly because of their arrogance.
My brother in law is a classic example.
He often makes statements out of ear shot of my sister especially when with his mates that make me cringe.
He is so arrogant that he thinks that their is solidarity between us because we are both male.
I hate him.
I can only tell my sister who he really is once he is dead because unlike my mother I keep my hatred for him a secret.
It will only negatively affect my relationship with my sister if I was to run him down like my mother does.
We both hate mom for all the awful stuff she did to us and she can't use my father as an excuse for her bad behaviour because what we hate her for was done after he died.
My mother hit me with a shovel really hurting my back.
Luckily for me it was the last time she hit me because when I screamed at her that she was just like dad it made her realize that she was being just like my fate.
He used to beat her mercilessly.
My sister was the only one of us he didn't beat up
Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Wouldn't it be good

Martin, I don't know how you have survived all that you have.   But you are here and you are aware of how the human condition and human nature can and does work from all sides of the spectrum, both dark and light.

That is monumental courage xxx

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Wouldn't it be good

martinw-48
Community Member
Tasfleur I have no courage.
I am weak and permanently damaged.
I only exist because not too would hurt my sister the only human I like 100%.
Thanks for your kind words they have left me crying uncontrollably and hardly able to see what I'm typing
Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

Wouldn't it be good

You may not recognise your courage Martin, but the fact that you are here says it all ...  Heart

Tears can be healing and very refreshing.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Wouldn't it be good

i think its much like the term 'dole bludger'

we who live with mental illness are judged by our looks 'he doesnt look sick' so hes not.

just because your on the newstart doesnt make you a bludger.

i had a family member who constantly refered to me when i wasnt working as a dole bludger.

because i wasnt diagnosed back then i thought my complete fear/hatred of going to work was because i was lazy.

but i forced myself for many years to go work everyday and not enjoying it one bit.

i was only ever happy when i was at home doing my own thing, like helping my dad around the home/garden.

or just in my room playing music.

sadly my family member passed away before i was diagnosed so there was never a 'see there is a reason for me being how i am' moment.

not sure if that would of made any difference.

old saying 'walk a mile in my shoes'

dont tell me to 'just get over it'

i accept who and what i am. its sad others cant.

even sadder when they feel they know all about me and let it be known to others.

most of the trouble i see around me is people wanting to stick their noses into others business.

thats my 10cents worth.

wish i had another greyhound though, doesnt look like its going to ever happen.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply