personal medical alarms

i'm considering getting a personal medical alarm as living on my own 

and now in this self isolation its dawned on me if i was incapacitated

i could be not missed for days or longer

my dad had a 'care alert' but that was many years ago before we got the fantastic NBN which i believe stopped these alarms from working

has anyone got experience with these devices using todays technology.

i have been googling but nearly everything is 'monitored' costing hundreds of dollars per year

dads just had a series of ohone numbers it would call until someone answered which would suit me

also, is there any govt rebates for these devices? care alert is almost $400 with delivery included

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

personal medical alarms

My partner had one, but that was 15 years ago. It used Telecom landline, a thing of the past. It rang a monitoring service, which then had a real person run down the list of numbers they had. No idea what it cost; it was part of her package.

And no help these days with the NBN and everything automated.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

personal medical alarms

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

David, my late father had one of these alarms but had to pay for it himself as he was a self funded retiree so no entitlement through government funding.  It was rather expensive as I remember it but worth it for peace of mind.

I have forgotten which company it was through but we were given an attachment for his landline and a pendant to hang around his neck with a button to push for help.

Every week he had to push the button to connect to the company to prove it was working....he had a half hour timeslot and if he did not do it they rang him.  They were very patient with him as he hated to do it.....I tried to be there during his allotted time so I could make him do it....and then reset it properly.

We had to give them 3 phone numbers of people who could respond within a certain timeframe....a few minutes initially.   The device went through those numbers and if not answered it contacted the ambulance.

Only once was it activated (probably accidentally as Dad did not remember doing it) and I received the first phone call.   The operator was lovely and very calming....and even kept her temper when I had to explain that it was a false alarm.

When my grandmother was alive we had a signal system.....mum would signal her with 3 rings of the phone around 9 am every morning.   My grandmother would signal back.  If either of them wanted to speak to the other they just let the phone ring until it was answered.   I rang my grandmother every afternoon after my kids arrived home from school so they could say hello.

That may be something to think about setting up with your brother as he lives close by.

The alarm we had was recommended by the local ACAT team (aged care in NSW) so you might try the equivalent in your state,

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

personal medical alarms

like i said, my personal experience is/was my dad had the unit that was advertised on tv 'the care alert'

back then it was just a simple thing that in the event he pressed the buttong it would ring a preset list of numbers until one was answered then play a pre recorded messege of alert.

just a one off payment to buy the device, no on going charges.

i'm happy to pay the full price if no govt subs are on offer.

i just dont think i need the monitoring at this time.

the first number id want to call is my brother and i know he would respond asap in 99% of times

second would be his wife

third maybe my next door neighbour who is a former nuse and i get along with very well in my secluded way

if it wasnt for this self isolating i would be unlikely to have even thought about requiring one of these

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

personal medical alarms

I will get on the phone in the next few days and ask around for you.....I know several of my friends have been investigating alarms but have no idea what they have found out.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

personal medical alarms

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I will get on the phone in the next few days and ask around for you.....I know several of my friends have been investigating alarms but have no idea what they have found out.

thank you

this self isolating is waking me up to just how easy you can not be missed

i'm also thinking its time to bite the bullet and get a modern phone, the old flip phone is not able to download apps!

i'm sure i'm not alone in this, there must be a lot of live alone people who have been happily going along without a care for anything

suddenly stuck indoors and realising no one would know if they were injured inside their home and couldnt get to the phone.

perhaps its something the govt will look into now?

its not a nice thought we could start seeing people being discovered dead weeks after the fell

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

personal medical alarms

I've had several falls and when I was in hospital the nurses would nag me about getting a personal alarm...but the only one they recommended was the monitoring / monthy payment one.  I wasn't keen as it was expensive.

This was all pre-NBN and when that came in I got conflicting info from the various companies about how their gadgets would work.

The other issue was giving the company the emergency contact numbers.  My immediate family don't live close by at all.  I don't know my neighbours (let alone their phone numbers) at all well......frankly I couldn't think of anyone I could list who would be any help.....at least not for hours and hours.

The result?  All that was over a year or two ago and I still haven't decided what to do.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

personal medical alarms

I know how you feel David.

I have been pretty much housebound for many years now and on the odd occasion I do go out the neighbours comment that they have not seen me for months.

Another cheap and easy way to attract attention is to use a whistle.  My grandmother was still living alone well into her 90s and always sat on her front verandah in the afternoons.  She always carried an old policemans whistle and did not hesitate to blow it loudly at the first sign of trouble.

Her lovely neighbours knew that if Mrs C was blowing her whistle then it was time to go and see what was wrong.

It was so loud that she could attract attention from inside the house if necessary.

I might add this was well before mobile phones and the whistle was great for nuisance phone

calls.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

personal medical alarms

doing more googling found there is a rebate system in south australia where some can get a fully free unit

sadly you have to be over 75 to take up the offer

How Can I Apply for a FREE CareAlert Through the SA Rebate Scheme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRD5UCPsbcw

maybe the govt could lower the age now with this darn virus making hundreds of thousands of older aussies stay indoors 

i dont mean it needs to be free, but anything when your on limited income helps

btw, has anyone else noticed the weekly shopping bill is about $20 higher than prior to to everything shutting down

my usual weekly bill was about $70 to $80 now its $100 - $110

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

personal medical alarms

When Dad had his alarm we did not have a problem with contacts.....I lived 2 blocks away and one of my daughters worked fairly close by and lived just 10 minutes drive away.

One of his neighbours was also home a lot and she offered to be another contact.  We were told that if personal contacts were hard to get we could list the local police and the Ambulance serice and they would contact them and advise them of the fact.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply