plant bulb ID help please

Hi

I have a heap of these that I found growing on an old abandoned factory site. They are quite  large and when I first saw them I  mistook them for a really nice lush group of Agapanthus plants as even though it was early july inner Sydney they were very green and healthy.

They were in several clumps about a metre each .Once I managed to dig out one bulb, the sandy soil was dry and rock hard, I found I could  rip the bulbs apart from clump by hand one at a time .

The thing is for all my effort I am not sure what they are?...

not Agapanthus as they do not have big bulbs

not belladonna as the leaves are  blunter at the end and thinner

so im thinking Hippeastrum perhaps although bulbs look more onion shaped on internet and I have never seen such lush foliage in winter on Hippeastrum  

Or could they be hymnicalis spider lily ? They are supposed to be evergreen 

I dont think they are crinum as all my crinum have wider leaves...

Any sugestions of anything else they may be ?..

also no sign of buds yet ,one of my hippeastrum has bud so its bud time in sydney 

I hate the mystery of it all...im not a patient woman 

Message 1 of 39
Latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Got back with some photos and the last of the bulbs...figured it was a shame to see them bulldozed when the site is turned to units in a few months.

Message 21 of 39
Latest reply

My photo skills are dubious i can only post one link per answer box..

Message 22 of 39
Latest reply

Message 23 of 39
Latest reply

bulbs 1.jpg    bulbs 2.jpg

bulbs 3.jpg

Looking at the bulbs in pic (1) a lot closer, im not conviced they are naked lady lilies.
And the leaves in the last pic doesnt convinvince me either.... so its stilla mystery.  Unless its a familial buld species??  perhaps??

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 24 of 39
Latest reply

Yes its odd... nothing quite fits so will just have to hope for a bloom to see what iv got. It could be something im not familiar with or as you said a different type of common species. 

Its nice to see a plant that reminds you of a lost loved one and your naked lady bulb will spread, i remember after loosing my mum my aunt said on the night of her funeral she suddenly smelt orange jasmine really strongly yet never before or after has she smelt it...it was my mums favorite plant so we thought it was a sign. 

There is no doubt in my mind loved people and pets are around us at times ,letting us know .

Message 25 of 39
Latest reply

With others saying naked ladies are a beautiful flower I had to google them.

OH MY, not what I was expecting.

Silly me didn't put flower in the search. Smiley Embarassed

They are very nice, remind me a little of fresians.

And I love jonquils so I think I would like these.

Hope they ARE Naked Lady's.

image host
Message 26 of 39
Latest reply

they look a lot like belladonna lilys

healthy-looking-amaryllis-belladonna-lily-plants-on-the-mulched-ground-ex10ng.jpg

Message 27 of 39
Latest reply

or agapanthus

754px-Agapanthus_Plant_2404px.jpg

Message 28 of 39
Latest reply

Yep, Bella Donna's are also called Naked Lady's.

image host
Message 29 of 39
Latest reply

well got them all planted and have found I have 209 of them so hope Iike them!!

I tried the US site Daves garden for an ID and im now positive they are from Crinum family .

This includes the white spider lily which was my guess and there are also crinums with the thin leaves so im happy either way...the crinums are very much like the Naked Ladies in  flower so should be a display in Summer of either white spider lilies or pink blooms.

quite exciting 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Cat LOL...
Message 30 of 39
Latest reply