'pull finger out' on gas exploration

Um, what happened to clean coal?

now its gas?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-15/states-need-to-pull-finger-out-on-gas-exploration-canavan-says...

the south australian govt announces its going to build a back up power generator running on gas. a federal minister says, oh right, the SA govt is going to lumber the tax payer with a bill for a huge gas powered power generator.

wasnt the federal govt telling us they were going to build clean coal power generators only a few weeks ago? where ya think they were going to get the cash from? under a magic mushroom. every power company said well we wont be building no new coal fired generators. so that leaves us, the taxpayer.

we end up paying for pretty much everything govts do.

i love footy but i'm much happier to be contributing to power stations and hospitals than football ovals.

ok, we built a water desal plant that we really havent needed "yet" and we keep getting the 'white elephant' chants, but when we next get a prolonged drought i bet those hecklers will be demanding that desal device be running flat out so they can wash their cars on sunday.

somethings you build not knowing if or when you will need them but when the day comes your glad you have them.

like car insurance, ive had it all my life and never used it, same with house insurance.

and what was the first thing the feds said after premier weatheril made the anouncment, we will be asking our lawyers if we can stop them. how dare those south australians decide they cant trust us to build a canoe, or supply power to everyone.

oh, and why doesnt the SA govt just restart the coal powered generator that was closed down, because it was at the end of its useful life. you can only keep very old generators going for so long, they wear out. they prolly should have been shut down years ago but like most of us, we all think that old washing machines going fine.....until it practcally blows up.

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

I thought pulling a finger led to gas escaping 

Message 2 of 50
Latest reply

@enigmabear wrote:

I thought pulling a finger led to gas escaping 

it certainly does when its the lib/nat party finger.

you could power the whole country with whats eminating from mal and his boys.

Message 3 of 50
Latest reply

TurnBULL by name ............................

Message 4 of 50
Latest reply

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-14/south-australias-electricity-timeline/8312062

i really didnt realise just how old are electricity generators were/are.

1954 was a very long time ago for anything mechanical to still be running on a power grid.

Message 5 of 50
Latest reply

Guthega60 megawatts (80,000 hp)1955
Tumut 1330 megawatts (440,000 hp)1958
Tumut 2286 megawatts (384,000 hp)1961

:

Blowering80 megawatts (110,000 hp)1967
Murray 1950 megawatts (1,270,000 hp)1967
Murray 2550 megawatts (740,000 hp)1969

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowy_Mountains_Scheme

and like Jacko and the energizer bunny... "they're still going.... oi

@davidc4430 wrote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-14/south-australias-electricity-timeline/8312062

i really didnt realise just how old are electricity generators were/are.

1954 was a very long time ago for anything mechanical to still be running on a power grid.

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 6 of 50
Latest reply

The Snowy Mountains Scheme was actually started in 1949 and started generating electricity in the mid 1950s.

I remember walking through the tunnels in about 1952 before the water was turned on.

Are you suggesting that it is too old to be of any use today David?

Message 7 of 50
Latest reply

i have no idea what the condition of the snowy mountain generators is, but i have a fair idea that using water to spin the turbines isnt the same as using coal to boil water thus creating steam to turn said turbines is very much different.

hence the fact we dont have steam trains anymore.

Message 8 of 50
Latest reply

see this picture, that huge area of dead nothing, that is the waste water area of the port augusta power station, is there an area like that anywhere near the snowy mountain power generators?

Image result for port augusta power station waste

Message 9 of 50
Latest reply

snowy mountain, fresh water, very soft water

port augusta, salt water, very corosive.

high corosion means metals fall apart quicker.

Message 10 of 50
Latest reply