so Indonesia thinks it is OK

to force a Australian plane to land because it entered their air space.

but think we can't turn around their boats that enter our waters

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Maybe we can cajole our Foreign Affairs Minister to throw her toys out of the cot like the Indonesian FAM did.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

yes it is OK. What do you think this govt would do if a plane entered our airspace without permission - send out a greeting party?

What is clear is that Australia cannot return boats into Indonesian waters without Indonesia's permission.

The Government can legally turn back asylum seeker boats provided it is safe to do so and they are intercepted within 24 nautical miles of the Australian coastline. It is clear that Australia cannot steer the boats into Indonesian waters, but exactly how close they can legally get to Indonesia is up for debate.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-26/government-turn-back-boat-policy/4979898

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

I wouldn't want to anger Indonesia, if I was Australian. With Indonesia's close proximity, and all the money we give them to shore up their military, I think it's best we zip it.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

it's also a safety issue, does anyone think it's OK for planes just to fly where ever they want without permission? I don't. 

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

@boris1gary wrote:

it's also a safety issue, does anyone think it's OK for planes just to fly where ever they want without permission? I don't. 

Of course - with all the issues with planes and flight-paths over that part of the world in the last year, I don't think it's unreasonable for Indonesia to take action. I would expect the Australian government would do the same here...

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

@**dirty.girl** wrote:

I wouldn't want to anger Indonesia, if I was Australian. With Indonesia's close proximity, and all the money we give them to shore up their military, I think it's best we zip it.

Don't sweet it dg. The Indonesians can only manage to beat journalists (The Balibo Five) or push around insignificant unarmed countries like East Timor. It would be like Australia invading Pitcairn Island and claiming victory.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

They sound like joy riders who are totally ignorant of flight rules.  They were lucky they were not dealt with in a more serious manner.

Australian pilots have previously spent time in Indonesian jails for similar offences.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

@village_person wrote:

@**dirty.girl** wrote:

Don't sweet it dg. The Indonesians can only manage to beat journalists (The Balibo Five) or push around insignificant unarmed countries like East Timor. It would be like Australia invading Pitcairn Island and claiming victory.

I don't "sweet" anything (cut out the carbs years ago). You need to do some research on the Indonesian armed forces before you claim the nation is no threat to Australia.

Talk about having your head in the sand, lol.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

I have to side with the Indonesians here in this day and age of terrorism they should be able in fact they have a responsibility to do so if the plane entered illegally for all they know it could have been packed full of explosives , don't forget Indonesia has been a direct victim of terrorism
Photobucket
Message 10 of 17
Latest reply