what is Dravet Syndrome ??

Campaigners for the use of medicinal cannabis are outraged over a one year jail sentence given to a prominent north coast grower of the herb when he appeared in Kempsey Court yesterday.

Supporters of Tony Bower, 56, who is being held in custody despite lodging an appeal against the sentence, which carries a nine month non-parole period, say they will continue his work dispensing medicinal cannabis to cancer sufferers and others with terminal or debilitating illnesses.

Mr Bower was charged after a police raid on his Mullaway property last year, which netted around 200 hemp plants that he had earmarked for production of medical tincture to distribute, free, to sufferers.

His partner Julie told Echonetdaily that she and others attending the court in solidarity were shocked he was not given bail after magistrate Wayne Evans said Mr Bower was not remorseful and would continue to give away the tincture.

http://echonetdaily.echo.net.au/medicine-man-jailed/

From the comments underneath the article re the Today Tonight story

The child featured above is my daughter.

Also in that video is young Molly who sadly lost her battle with dravet syndrome last yr. in the last 12months too many dravet children have died.

We have no other options – they don’t work, good seizure control for a child with dravet is still uncontrolled to everyone else.

These kids deserve a chance. My Tara deserves to live.

Today I am sad to be an Australian. Whilst Tony sits in a jail cell wondering what he is going to do, I sit here wondering if my 7 year old daughter will now live to see Christmas.

In December last year we were told 2013 would most likely be her last year on earth. We didn’t give up quite so easily. We were not willing to say goodbye yet.

Tara has such a rare disorder that officially it doesn’t have a name, the closest known disorder is Dravet Syndrome (this is similar but Tara is progressing much quicker) Between October 2012 and January 2013 Tara was resuscitated 3 times, twice by me, her mum.

Most likely she would not survive the next time. By this time Tara was taking 5 different medications (18 tablets a day), she was dying. That was until we found Tony Bower.

Tony is NOT a criminal to me; he is a crusader, my hero. Without a doubt he has saved my child’s life. But now with Tony sitting in Jail we have no further supply of medical cannabis coming in, this means without a doubt Tara will die. Medical cannabis is all that is keeping her alive.

So what was it doing? In January Tara was having 10major seizures a day, and half hourly absence seizures and 5 nocturnal seizures.

For the record YES that is over 23000 seizures a year!!!! No drug was working, she always had seizures day in day out from when she was just six weeks old.

We were told her IQ was now too low to score dropping from 82 four years earlier and her brain had begun to shut down. We were on the home stretch she simply could not continue like this.

Within a day of starting Medical cannabis Tara’s seizures had halved. By 10 days she was seizure free. Now four months on she has only had one 90 second seizure since February.

She has started to learn again, she can write her name, she can memorise a basic text. She is no longer using her walking frame and has begun toilet training.

Without Tony and crusaders like him we will lose too many children way too soon.

By denying Tara her medical cannabis the government has effectively signed her death certificate.

Please have legislation changed before it is too late, children and adults around this country will die without Tony Bowers Medical Cannabis, he MUST be released as I fear if he isn’t there is simply no option left for my child.

I plea to you please do not allow my child or others like her to die, simply because our laws here have not caught up with the rest of the world.

Please shout this message through social media, talk with friends ring/email your MP. Until Tony is not only freed but is free to continue his work!

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

What is Dravet Syndrome?

Dravet syndrome, also known as Severe Myoclonic Epilepsy of Infancy (SMEI), is a rare and catastrophic form of intractable epilepsy that begins in infancy. Initial seizures are most often prolonged events and in the second year of life other seizure types begin to emerge. Development remains on track initially, with plateaus and a progressive decline typically beginning in the second year of life. Individuals with Dravet syndrome face a higher incidence of SUDEP (sudden unexplained death in epilepsy) and have associated conditions, which also need to be properly treated and managed. These conditions include:

• behavioral and developmental delays

• movement and balance issues

• orthopedic conditions

• delayed language and speech issues

• growth and nutrition issues

• sleeping difficulties

• chronic infections

• sensory integration disorders

• disruptions of the autonomic nervous system (which regulates things such as body temperature and sweating)

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

Tony Bowers tincture is generally non psychotropic.

He has a facebook page a little like the name that is printed on his t shirt.

Last time I started a thread re Tonys plight it was reported. The hypocracy involved in that the opiate pharmaceutical drugs are legal yet non psychotropic derivatives of... wait for it Cannabis.... are illegal are an indictment on the jpg that Hearst and Dupont etc did on the public at large

Psychotropic medication: Any medication capable of affecting the mind, emotions, and behavior. Some medications such as lithium, which may be used to treat depression, are psychotropic. Also called a psychodynamic medication.

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

http://www.change.org/petitions/julia-gillard-release-tony-bower-from-jail?post_id=100000968596034_533030286739253#_=

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

His problem is the quantity he had, if he had enough for person use he would have got a slap on the wrist if he was even charged.

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

His premises is licenced to produce food grade oil... he is no under the counter dealer. Each plabnr had a patients name and a script number or associated paperwork from a licenced medical practitioner

http://www.mullawaysmedicalcannabis.com.au/

Cleverman

containing
9% Resin
composed of
91% Cannabinoids
9% Total THC
as
95% THCA
Non-Psychotropic
5% THC
Psychotropic

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

which netted around 200 hemp plants that he had earmarked for production 

It is an illegal substance, of course he was arrested, why should he be above the law?

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

His premises is licenced to produce food grade oil.

Is his premises licenced to produce 200 hemp plants?

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

which netted around 200 hemp plants that he had earmarked for production 

It is an illegal substance, of course he was arrested, why should he be above the law?

That's the point Freddy the law should be changed. The opiates have their place ie Oxycontin, Tramadol and it is illegal

What is the hold up other than Big Pharma wanting big bucks??

or

Do you think Tara should die waiting ???

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

The special access scheme

http://www.tga.gov.au/hp/access-sas.htm

Sativex is not suitable to treat Dravet Syndrome and on top of that it is nigh on impossible to access the special access scheme

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nabiximols

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply